Advice on replacing original 2Gb mini SD with larger 8Gb mini

Last Updated:

1. apesa

apesa New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, I have an HTC Hero with a 2Gb Mini SD that is almost full, so I bought a 8Gb mini to replace the small original 2Gb SD. The 2Gb is 75% full so I am sure there is data and config that I need but is on that 2 Gb SD. What is the best way to replace the card without losing the data and config.

I tried HTC Sync, but it only wants to back up my Outlook, which I don't sync anyways. I also mounted the phone as a HD and looking at the file system, there seems to be no way to copy and replace what I need.

One other question. Is the SD card the only storage media on the phone? Is there internal built in storage other than a BIOS type boot strap?

I asked HTC via email support, but no answer....

Anyone?

TIA,
    Pat

Advertisement
  2. harlequin1963

harlequin1963 Member

Power down phone.
    Take memory card out of phone
    Insert in card reader connected to computer.
    Copy all contents onto computer
    Remove 2GB card , and insert 8GB card.
    Copy folders and files back to 8GB card.
    Remove card
    Put card into phone.
    Power up phone

apesa likes this.
  3. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

All the important stuff is stored on the phones own internal memory, so harlequin's advice will work perfectly.

Even if you didn't copy the stuff across, no system data is stored on there so it would still work. You'd just lose things like saved games, images, music etc.

apesa likes this.
  4. apesa

Thanks to both of you, That is what I figured, but wanted to make sure that I would not screw up any config or data. This platform has me worried about software upgrades and switching cards. It seems that the FW and ROM updates are always blowing away your config and data. If I proposed that in my line of software work I would have real problems.

Thanks again,
    Pat

5. Xyro

Don't worry :) If you do it exactly as harlequin described (i.e. without booting before coping the files across) the phone won't even notice the change.

But yeah, firmware updates have to wipe your internal memory to install correctly. Which gets a bit annoying if you switch custom ROMs every other week like me :p

6. apesa

I understand wiping internal mem for upgrades. But the upgrade path should include dumping the internal mem to the PC HDD or something similar, wipe it, install, reboot and dump the HDD back into internal mem, adjust config for new version of ROM, FW.....

I know it is not that simple, but we do this sort of thing all the time in all aspects of software delivery. Imagine if you proposed this to the business world, you'd be shown the door.

I am hoping that future development includes an upgrade path that at least preserves important config and data. I was just ready to move to ROM version 2.73.405.5 from 2.27.651.6 until I saw the warnings..... Isn't this linux in my phone, haha...

Thanks though for the advice... I will do the SD swap as you and Harlequin suggest when I get back in town.

BTW, this seems like a good forum, good advice and many recent posts... Good job
    Pat

Xyro likes this.
  7. Xyro

In some of the recent versions of android google have added the ability to save some of your settings and the list of all installed apps to their servers. So when you install new firmware it should all be resynchronised. It's still not perfect though.

And thank you :)

apesa likes this.
  8. mattdanielc

mattdanielc Well-Known Member

There's a lot of loving going on between apesa and Xyro!! ;)

9. blacklotus

blacklotus New Member

Can you also transfer data from the original card via the USB/charger cable that comes with the phone? I have move files, photos onto the phone from a computer this way. reverse is ok too?

Thanks

Blacklotus

10. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Yup.

11. blacklotus

blacklotus New Member

Thanky!

Blacklotus