• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Aftermarket Car Chargers

bosox2k1

Android Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2010
Williston, VT
So I bought an aftermarket car charger on ebay for about $5... says it has that intelligent IC chip that stops charging when the device is full....I assume having an aftermarket car charger is fine, I just wanted to get input from the board.

Here is the ebay link to the one I bought.

Retractable Retract Car Charger FOR MOTOROLA Droid X - eBay (item 300451296417 end time Aug-06-10 12:05:25 PDT)

The link doesn't work anymore.

If you plan on using your phone to do multiple things such as Nav, GPS, stream music, bluetooth, etc. while driving I would suggest a charger that has a minimum of 1A. Personally, I went with a 2.1A that is originally for an iPad, those things consume a good amount of power. Little on the pricey side but I wanted the 2.1A output.

Amazon.com: Griffin PowerJolt Redesign Car Charger for iPod and iPhone 1G

Upvote 0
So iis it okay to use the Griffin ipad chargers even though they output 2.1 amps and our phone only needs 1amp?

I was worried it would provide too much power

Max rating means only "it can supply up to that amount". It will not "zap" your device with 2.1A. The device you are charging will take as much as it needs. But if the device (running GPS, BT, and display on) sinks a lot more current than you can source from a charger - your battery will drain at faster rate than its charging up. Also, if you are just charging up your phone without using GPS, you still need somewhere between 850mA and 1A of current, and regular 500mA chargers will create a bottleneck that will slow down charging process. In addition, be aware of no-brand cheap 2A chargers from eBay because they can source 2.1A but inside electronics is not laid out properly to handle such a high current and that is how you hear about "smoked" chargers due to internal overheating and burning out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones