• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

All about ext2/ext3/ext4

cool.gautam

Android Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2011
USA
Hello guys....!! i want some answers on the question and many of you must also be wondering these..!!

1 ) What is best for a70 ? ext2/ ext3/ ext4/ fat32
2) When we partition our SD card through recovery what type of default partition we get? ext2 or ext3?
3) If we get ext2 how can we upgrade it to ext3? and vice versa
4) How to check if we are running ext2 or ext3 or any other format ??

Hello guys....!! i want some answers on the question and many of you must also be wondering these..!!

2) When we partition our SD card through recovery what type of default partition we get? ext2 or ext3?

Well for any droid ext4 ( without journalism ) is best ! but A70 does not support it hence it is better to go for ext3
2.) when u format form CWM 4.0+ it does ext3
3.)just format
4.) just check from pc

Upvote 0
ok..look Android is based on Linux. And nowadays ext4 "was" the latest filesystem type. By filesystem I mean the ones you must've noticed in your computers..the FAT32(in windows 98/98SE), NTFS (windows XP/7) so here comes Linux compatible filesystem type(s) ext2 (old), ext3(old but stable) & ext4 (not pretty old but is slightly* faster than ext3 ), jrfs (new). :)

echo9

Upvote 0
ok..look Android is based on Linux. And nowadays ext4 "was" the latest filesystem type. By filesystem I mean the ones you must've noticed in your computers..the FAT32(in windows 98/98SE), NTFS (windows XP/7) so here comes Linux compatible filesystem type(s) ext2 (old), ext3(old but stable) & ext4 (not pretty old but is slightly* faster than ext3 ), jrfs (new). :)

echo9

:p let me clear this !
look Android is based on Linux.
:) every damn person knows it !
And nowadays ext4 "was" the latest filesystem type
<--- ext4 is the latest for Linux core "stable ext4" released on 2008 (28 oct)

FAT32(in windows 98/98SE)
it is compatible with Almost all Operating systems... let it be ANY 95+ windows, OS X , Linux, Free BSD ,Solaris almost many of them (even DOS 7.1) :D

ext4 (not pretty old but is slightly* faster than ext3 )
:D
ext4 is significantly faster than ext3 !
also ext4 has journalism which is the strongest point in general but that can be disabled for a batter CPU usage on droids , also ext4 is the default
( and compulsory ) base system for Android 4.0 , almost all the linux distros ...
with kernel 2.6 + !
jrfs (new)
there exists no file system called "jrfs" :D

Upvote 0
:p let me clear this !
:) every damn person knows it !
lol hey you are just considering yourself here..remember its a forum dude..and "people" do read threads as a guest here too :p

PLUS we do not know what they already know about all this stuff?!
thats why this topic has been opened..it wouldn't had been in the first place..if all were born geeks/nerds/klaus knopper! :mad:

<--- ext4 is the latest for Linux core "stable ext4" released on 2008 (28 oct)

btw: btrfs is the fastest ..mother of all filesystems :p
1.png

it is compatible with Almost all Operating systems... let it be ANY 95+ windows, OS X , Linux, Free BSD ,Solaris almost many of them (even DOS 7.1)

oh cmon i did not said it wasn't compatible? lol u :p i just quote in my last post as FAT32(in windows 98/98SE) as an indication that it comes as a "DEFAULT" filesystem with these OS'es ! :p

ext4 is significantly faster than ext3 !

dude I agree it is faster no doubt..but not that "significantly faster for a home Linux user"! not comparing it with android but Android is a byproduct of Linux fyi if linux wasn't around forget android! :p

also ext4 has journalism which is the strongest point in general but that can be disabled for a batter CPU usage on droids , also ext4 is the default
( and compulsory ) base system for Android 4.0 , almost all the linux distros ...
with kernel 2.6 + !

ext4 is default mostly in ubuntu based distros aka ubuntu spinoffs.. & not in all linux distros. making any filesystem "the default filesystem type" of any linux distribution is the whole-sole right of the maintainer of the distribution.

there exists no file system called "jrfs" :D

ok i mistakenly typed "jrfs" its actually "btrfs" chkout wikipedia..
n yeah..jrfs isn't there but another one "jfs" does exist! :p

Upvote 0
How about everyone calms down, considers what the OP actually asked, and provides answers instead of arguing semantics? ;)

Sure, ext4 offers the best performance of the file systems supported by Android. However the OP also mentions "SD card", and in the case of flash memory a journaling fs is not a good choice due to the increased writes because flash memory cells have a finite number of write cycles available.

I'll have to leave the other questions up to others as I have no experience with the A70 so can't comment on recovery options.

Upvote 0
I agree with mod..

ext4 is best..a70 natively doesn't support it.

ext3

u need to format the partition to ext3...or vice versa..i use gParted to do that all..

use gParted to do all ur partitioning queries,it is best according to me,i use that only.
It will show the current filesystem n also format it to ext2/3/4/fat32 whatever u want.
i think it's not available for windows but gParted bootable disk is available.

Upvote 0
Hi fellas,
Reading a thread on this sub-forum..I just came across "karandpr" 's profile on which I saw this: "..
Device(s): Galaxy 551 on PXL-JFS/BTRFS

trust me fellas.. BTRFS is "the" fastest filesystem (irrespective of its other disadvantages, if any* :| ) :D

Someone please test and comment here (or make a separate thread) so that we all can make use of its advantages and integrate it better in the upcoming 2.3 / Cyanogenmod port for our A70's :)

Note: not starting the war of words..but its good to share info.; info. which might be helpful to others (and in pure/precise form..so that others here are NOT burdened to go through wikis, mans etc. sh!t)

UPDATE:
another post by "karandpr"..
Thx,
echo9

Upvote 0
How about everyone calms down, considers what the OP actually asked, and provides answers instead of arguing semantics? ;)

Sure, ext4 offers the best performance of the file systems supported by Android. However the OP also mentions "SD card", and in the case of flash memory a journaling fs is not a good choice due to the increased writes because flash memory cells have a finite number of write cycles available.

I'll have to leave the other questions up to others as I have no experience with the A70 so can't comment on recovery options.

*** Please check my previous post above for clarification...^ ***

MOD plz plz..excuse me..BuT..BuT i really wanna say..of what i understood from the post quoted above..^

blah..blah..blah...blah..bla.. :D heeee :D

Thanks for the patience;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones