• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [All Carriers][ROM][4.4.4] ViperOneM8 | Android 4.4.4 Sense 6.0 - HTC One M8

Hello all! It's been a while since I've been on the boards to look at any updating since my T-Mobile M8 running Viper is running so smooth, but I think I might be ready to get the most current Viper ROM and see whats new out there.

Currently I am running:
Android version: 4.4.3
HTC Sense version: 6.0
Software number: Viper One M8 2.5.0
HTC SDK API level: 6.25
Baseband version: 1.19.213311491.03G_20.56.4198.02L_F
Build number: 2.22.531.6 CL365360

I am not an expert when it comes to all the "rooting" stuff, but I do gather that I need to update my firmware before I can go any further. I found this link (http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/development/firmware-flashing-panic-attacks-t2824048) but can't seem to make heads or tails out of which or any of the files on that page I would even need to download to get started.

So any help would be appreciated, I look forward to getting current and running the new Viper ROM for a long while!

Upvote 0
Ok, did you change to supercid (cid = 11111111) or do you still have TMob cid? If not you can edit the androidinfo.txt file anyway to match your cid number, since you're s-off, and pretty well install any firmware for a GSM variant (as long as TMob is GSM?).

Yeah it's a bit hard to work out from that thread what download you need. You can work it out if you hover over the links to see the full file name, but likely you need to work through them flashing each one incrementally. I don't use these myself though so not sure if it would cover all TMob releases, and not 100% sure at what point you are starting from as I don't think there was a 2.22.401.6 (WWE), only a 2.22.401.5.

You can also use fastboot commands to flash the firmware as well, and the guide here covers this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/general/vomerguides-m8-bootldr-unlock-s-off-t2800727

It's not as bad as it seems if you follow sensible checks - double check md5's of downloads, scroll back through the cmd prompt to check everything flashed successfully before re-booting the bootloader.

Just just dug up what should be a rolled-up TMob firmware from this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/development/progress-fuu-m8-t2813792

You don't really need the FUU part, scroll down and click on the link "All Downloads FUU & Zips".

On the ZIP tab (top left) it looks like you should be able to jump straight to TMob firmware 4.20.531.4 - these should be rolled up firmwares saving you having to flash updates incrementally, but the one thing I'm not sure of is whether you can jump straight to this one or if you need to flash the 3.32.531.2 firmware first. I haven't jumped straight from firmware for android 4.4.3 to firmware for android 5.0.x myself, but have used two of these successfully to do a 3.28.401.x and then a 4.16.401.x roll-up.

If unsure, don't be tempted to do anything ask first - I don't think there are any specific TMob differences from WWE but I'd like one of the other guys to chime in to confirm.

What firmware does the latest Viper need?

Reactions: dan55
Upvote 0
If you read back a few pages, you'll see I got flummoxed somewhat with regards to the firmware upgrade. So far, I've stuck to Viper 1.8.
I can't find it.

Simple question - you're on Sprint and s-off?

Put the Captain's package on your SD card, reboot phone, remove package from sd card, boom, done.

Upvote 0
Thank you.

Silly question of the evening #1: the most recent one is HK, so I can't use that on my non-HK device, correct?
Incorrect. You're s-off. You get the HK firmware in the bargain.

And after your 4.3.0 ViperOneM8 install, get the rest of the HK package here -

http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/development/mod-audio-hk-bs-aroma-switcher-4-1-0-t3035354

Might as well enjoy a nice audio update while you're at it, I think that you'll be glad you did. :)

I can't remember about wifi calling, can't answer.

Upvote 0
Stuck on HTC screen after flashing Viper 4.3...
Which TWRP are you running?

If it's the old one, you want to update to 2.8.5.

http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/m8_whl/openrecovery-twrp-2.8.5.0-m8_whl.img

(WARNING - SPRINT ONLY)

Put in same folder as fastboot - that's sdk-tools if you used our Mini-SDK.

Open command window into sdk-tools (or wherever those two files are) and shift+right click on the folder itself.

Choose Open command window here.

Put phone into fastboot mode by holding volume down while powering on.

Say in command window -

fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.8.5.0-m8_whl.img

If you did it right, it'll say that it transferred some bytes, give or take 16k, and say OKAY.

Reboot again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones