• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

All GPS fixes for the Xiaomi Mi A1

Pocophone Y/N?

• Y

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • N

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Alfred_k

Jan 8, 2018
The MiA1 is an incredible phone for the price. Decent processor, great camera in the right conditions, stock Android, decent battery life. It can do almost anything you throw at it.

But it's GPS is definitely the dealbreaker.

After barely over a year, I can't stand anymore the faulty GPS. It's nearly impossible to navigate to a certain location without hiccups, and it can get pretty dangerous when it loses its signal just arriving at a turn or an exit.

I can say by now I have every possible "soft" solution for the Mi A1s GPS, and while I didn't get to solve my priblem, maybe these tips could help you fix yours (since they've done so for other devices):

1. Make sure location services are on for all navigation apps and that it is set for "high accuracy"
  2. Make sure all navigation apps have proper permissions.
  3. Delete all cache and app data. Didn't do it for me though.
  4. Downloading "GPS FIX" apps. These could help you, but they kinda do the same as in step 2.
After all that has failes, time to bring out the big guns:

1. Dial *#*#6484*#*# to activate developer hardware testing and go to option 27 to test your GPS. It failed every time for me.
  2. At this point I didn't know what else to do so I contacted Xiaomi support. They told me to do everything I had previously done, and if all else failed, do a factory reset. I did a factory reset and of course lost a bunch of data because I'm like that. Still, no GPS fix.
That's pretty much all you can do. I got back in touch with them to ask for a warranty but they apparently not do any kind of international warranties, so that's that.

Is this even relevant though? I only got the Mi A1 a year ago and mobile phones, especially mid range have blown SO out of proportion. The Mi A1 feels ancient now. Everybody is complaining about chins and aspect ratios and this phone is like the embodiment of what everybody hates aesthetically now, except for the notch!

Talking about notches, I just bought myself this Cyber Monday a brand new Pocophone. So pumped to get my hands on it! I love the Mi A1 and I would probably wouldn't have bought the Pocophone if it weren't for its GPS issues.

I move a lot in my car and I need a reliable GPS. This is sadly a complete deal breaker for me. I was putting up with it, but no more. It got very dangerous not too long ago, and I can't keep having those risks.

What do you think? I'm giving Xiaomi another chance to prove themselves. The Pocophone is a monster on paper, so let's see what happens! Wish me luck! And good luck to you if you are on the same boat as me. I hope this has been of help.

Feel free to drop me a line if you need any assistance.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones