• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root All-One-Guide to Rooting, Deodexing, and Installing a Custom ROM/Theme (And How to Unbrick Droid X)

First of all, thanks for compiling all of this information in one place. As a new Android user and Droid X owner, it would have taking me several hours (or much more) to search many forums to find all of this information.

However, as you are a new user and this thread is not stickied, I was compelled to research all of your steps completely to make sure they were accurate. It would be very helpful if you had cited sources for each section, or even at the end. You obviously had to search and find these in the first place, so it would be helpful for OCD neurotic people like myself to easily find the original threads for more details, and of course to give others credit.

That said, everything worked just as you have listed. The only corrections I would add is in Section B DeOdexing.

For step 4 you state:

This confused me :thinking:, and I think you meant "un-unzipped" since in step 2 you stated in caps not to unzip this file.

Also, it would help if in step 2 when you mention downloading the theme you provide a link or at least the name of the zip to download "928DroidBlackGlassX-DroidX-OTA2315-DeOdexEERR-THEME.ZIP". Yes it is mentioned later in steps 10 and 11, but if someone isn't reading ahead first they would miss this.

Lastly, in step 8 I would just remove the note about you personally skipping the backup. It doesn't add to the guide in anyway and makes the step very wordy. Someone seeing this might subconsciously think "oh he skipped it, I'll skip it too!". In fact, you should probably state here in all caps they if they do not backup and they brick they are out of luck :)

Again, thanks for compiling the information, and I bet if you added sources and credit you might even get a sticky :D

thanks for the suggestions!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the great post, REALLY helpful!!! I just have a couple questions:

1) When changing roms, do I go back into bootstrap and run bootstrap recovery EACH TIME or do I just do it the first time?

2) When I try to make a backup with Rom Manager, it just reboots to the M logo and hangs there until I do a battery pull, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I can make a backup through bootstrap but I can't name it or anything.

I think that's all for now, thank you again for all your help!!!!!
Slacker

EDIT: After installing the 928 rom as suggested, when it went to reboot the screen stayed on the M logo but the phone was running as normal. I got an email notification and everything! How the heck does that work? lol I did a battery pull and it's rebooting fine now. The rom took even though I had to do a battery pull, CRAZY!!!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the guide - I successfully rooted my phone. However, I am having an issue with the deodexing. Everything goes well until I install the 928 theme from the zip file. It reports that it was successful, and so I select 'reboot system now'. It reboots and freezes at the M. This has happened twice, but both times I have been able to recover by pulling the battery, then restoring my old (rooted, not deodexed) rom.

Can anyone help me with this?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the guide - I successfully rooted my phone. However, I am having an issue with the deodexing. Everything goes well until I install the 928 theme from the zip file. It reports that it was successful, and so I select 'reboot system now'. It reboots and freezes at the M. This has happened twice, but both times I have been able to recover by pulling the battery, then restoring my old (rooted, not deodexed) rom.

Can anyone help me with this?

Are you working with stock froyo 2.2? or a custom rom you installed earlier? It's possible that the 928 file you downloaded could be corrupted (I downloaded my file from the same site I provided in the guide) so you could try redownloading the file. Otherwise, if you don't want to mess around with it a fix would be to dl the stock froyo 2.2 from Home and reinstall the stock SBF file through RSD lite. The instructions are found in the section labeled "unbricking your droid x".
Cheers,
E

Upvote 0
Are you working with stock froyo 2.2? or a custom rom you installed earlier? It's possible that the 928 file you downloaded could be corrupted (I downloaded my file from the same site I provided in the guide) so you could try redownloading the file. Otherwise, if you don't want to mess around with it a fix would be to dl the stock froyo 2.2 from Home and reinstall the stock SBF file through RSD lite. The instructions are found in the section labeled "unbricking your droid x".
Cheers,
E

I started with stock froyo. I will try redownloading the 928 file.

Edit: It worked!

Upvote 0
Got a question. Everything is working great but I have the itch to try a different rom. Should I restore the backup I made first and use "928DroidBlackGlassX-DroidX-OTA2315-DeOdexEERR-THEME.ZIP" again and then follow the rom install instructions? I assume when you deodex the process is not permanent and can be undone with your backup.

Upvote 0
Got a question. Everything is working great but I have the itch to try a different rom. Should I restore the backup I made first and use "928DroidBlackGlassX-DroidX-OTA2315-DeOdexEERR-THEME.ZIP" again and then follow the rom install instructions? I assume when you deodex the process is not permanent and can be undone with your backup.

in order to install a different ROM you most likely will have to be deodexed so I would leave the 928 theme with deodex installed and create a backup of that then just install your new deodexed ROM using bootstrap over the one you currently have installed. If anything goes wrong, you have either of your backups to fall back to.

Upvote 0
I've been rooted for several weeks now and am finally interested in installing some ROMs/themes. I saw this thread and the great feedback it got and thought I'd give it a go. Unfortunately the 928 BG install didn't go as scripted:

4. Drag and drop the zipped 928 BlackGlass onto your sdcard. You can make a separate folder for this on your SD Card labeled

Upvote 0
I've been rooted for several weeks now and am finally interested in installing some ROMs/themes. I saw this thread and the great feedback it got and thought I'd give it a go. Unfortunately the 928 BG install didn't go as scripted:

I transferred the zip file to my SD card via Bluetooth, but I don't see how this matters.

I didn't get the SuperUser prompt, but no big deal.

My phone just did a regular old reboot. Nothing special. No recovery mode.

See my reply to # 6 above.

So I figured the problem was some app I had on the phone. The most broad-reaching app I have is LauncherPro (or maybe Titanium Backup). I uninstalled LP and rebooted, then I attempted steps 5 & 6 again. Nothing. Regular old reboot. I attempted this a few more times with the same results.

Does anyone have a reasonable idea why it isn't working? I'm baffled. Any help is appreciated.

@Weegie5
Try the transfer via USB sometimes a file can become corrupted through wireless transfer. Some people have been having issues with the 928 zip file itself but after redownloading the file and placing it on the root of the sdcard via usb they seemed to have no issues.

Also, there may have been a step that you missed with respect to your Bootstrap recovery issue . I think mxsjw covered that in the post above. Good luck!
E

Upvote 0
Clarification for you on 5 and 6.

make sure you are pressing "Bootstrap Recovery" 1st
wait for the pop up that says "Success!" and press "OK"
now you can press "Reboot Recovery"...it will reboot and you should be into clockwork

Damn that traps a lot of people, me included.

@Weegie5
Try the transfer via USB sometimes a file can become corrupted through wireless transfer. Some people have been having issues with the 928 zip file itself but after redownloading the file and placing it on the root of the sdcard via usb they seemed to have no issues.

Also, there may have been a step that you missed with respect to your Bootstrap recovery issue . I think mxsjw covered that in the post above. Good luck!
E

The 928 BGX file is huge, I would not rely on a file obtained via Bluetooth.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones