All-One-Guide to Rooting, Deodexing, and Installing a Custom ROM/Theme (And How to Unbrick Droid X)

1. hob0d4n

hob0d4n Well-Known Member

where can i find the usb drivers so it can be found in windows 7?
  2. hob0d4n

nevermind found it
  3. t0adman

t0adman Well-Known Member

Yep, you did. Now that the first post has been updated (it wasn't THAT bad to begin with) I edited my post. I agree that it's a very helpful guide and I'm grateful to the OP for sharing.
  4. t0adman

Where? I'm having brutal MTB USB Driver failures. :eek:
  5. mygamjaishot

mygamjaishot Active Member

thanks for the suggestions!
  6. hob0d4n

7. hob0d4n

ok so i rooted my X then dl'ed Droid X Recovery Bootstrap and i allowed permission. Then i backed it up and now when i try to restore it had MD5 mismatch. Helppp pleasee
  8. wbmason1

wbmason1 New Member

Thanks for the great post, REALLY helpful!!! I just have a couple questions:

1) When changing roms, do I go back into bootstrap and run bootstrap recovery EACH TIME or do I just do it the first time?

2) When I try to make a backup with Rom Manager, it just reboots to the M logo and hangs there until I do a battery pull, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I can make a backup through bootstrap but I can't name it or anything.

I think that's all for now, thank you again for all your help!!!!!
    Slacker

EDIT: After installing the 928 rom as suggested, when it went to reboot the screen stayed on the M logo but the phone was running as normal. I got an email notification and everything! How the heck does that work? lol I did a battery pull and it's rebooting fine now. The rom took even though I had to do a battery pull, CRAZY!!!
  9. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

+1 to OP for being helpful. Thank you! (Makes my job easier! ;))
  10. ECFfighter7232

ECFfighter7232 Well-Known Member

did you rename the backup? if so did you put any spaces in the name? if the answer to both is yes then take the spaces away.
  11. Bobt39

Bobt39 New Member

Thanks for the guide - I successfully rooted my phone. However, I am having an issue with the deodexing. Everything goes well until I install the 928 theme from the zip file. It reports that it was successful, and so I select 'reboot system now'. It reboots and freezes at the M. This has happened twice, but both times I have been able to recover by pulling the battery, then restoring my old (rooted, not deodexed) rom.

Can anyone help me with this?
  12. mygamjaishot

Are you working with stock froyo 2.2? or a custom rom you installed earlier? It's possible that the 928 file you downloaded could be corrupted (I downloaded my file from the same site I provided in the guide) so you could try redownloading the file. Otherwise, if you don't want to mess around with it a fix would be to dl the stock froyo 2.2 from Home and reinstall the stock SBF file through RSD lite. The instructions are found in the section labeled "unbricking your droid x".
    Cheers,
    E
  13. Bobt39

Bobt39 New Member

I started with stock froyo. I will try redownloading the 928 file.

Edit: It worked!
  14. t0adman

15. cdmoore74

cdmoore74 Well-Known Member

Got a question. Everything is working great but I have the itch to try a different rom. Should I restore the backup I made first and use "928DroidBlackGlassX-DroidX-OTA2315-DeOdexEERR-THEME.ZIP" again and then follow the rom install instructions? I assume when you deodex the process is not permanent and can be undone with your backup.
  16. mikepic

mikepic Well-Known Member

I've seen a lot of "how to" posts but this one gave me the confidence to actually go through with it.

Thanks a ton! I've successfully applied some custom roms thanks to you OP.
  17. mygamjaishot

in order to install a different ROM you most likely will have to be deodexed so I would leave the 928 theme with deodex installed and create a backup of that then just install your new deodexed ROM using bootstrap over the one you currently have installed. If anything goes wrong, you have either of your backups to fall back to.
  18. Weegie5

Weegie5 Member

I've been rooted for several weeks now and am finally interested in installing some ROMs/themes. I saw this thread and the great feedback it got and thought I'd give it a go. Unfortunately the 928 BG install didn't go as scripted:

19. mxsjw

mxsjw Well-Known Member

Clarification for you on 5 and 6.

make sure you are pressing "Bootstrap Recovery" 1st
    wait for the pop up that says "Success!" and press "OK"
    now you can press "Reboot Recovery"...it will reboot and you should be into clockwork
  20. mygamjaishot

@Weegie5
    Try the transfer via USB sometimes a file can become corrupted through wireless transfer. Some people have been having issues with the 928 zip file itself but after redownloading the file and placing it on the root of the sdcard via usb they seemed to have no issues.

Also, there may have been a step that you missed with respect to your Bootstrap recovery issue . I think mxsjw covered that in the post above. Good luck!
    E
  21. dhoffman1421

dhoffman1421 Well-Known Member

Damn that traps a lot of people, me included.

The 928 BGX file is huge, I would not rely on a file obtained via Bluetooth.
  22. mygamjaishot

yeah the file is fairly big for BT xfer so yeah there's a big chance that was the problem
  23. bigshotproducer

bigshotproducer Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for this post! I was just what I was looking for! I just rooted But ROM's were making me a bit unsure! This made it seem easy...thanks again!!
  24. lancedriskell

lancedriskell Well-Known Member

this is the last thing on the command prompt, after i double clicked the doroot file... (Step 7)

adb connection will be reset. restart the adb server on desktop and re-login. could not kill pid 20091: no such process

what do i do now?
  25. droid507

droid507 Active Member

worked like a charm...I got it to work without any trouble. Thanks to OP for dumbing it down for ppl like me..

Much appreciated