• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Alternative launchers - laggy.

Yenzehn

Android Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2010
(Using HTC Desire)

I have tried using both launcher pro and ADW launcher, who have a reputation of being light launchers, and no matter how much I mess about with the settings, I always experience the same thing:

1: They are often not fluid when swiping screens, showing a little sign of lag or sluggishness that you do not experience with the Sense UI and which drives me crazy.

2: When unlocking the phones, the first swipe is always followed by a noticeable amount of latency.

This bothers me quite a bit, because I really like these launchers and I know of no other way to get the (from my POV) main advantage behind them (the dock).

Any advice? I have tried messing about with the memory settings etc to no avail.

Are you rooted or stock? My Dinc is stock so Sense is always loaded even though LP is the default. One thing I did was to set up a "clean" Sense profile (no icons, widgets, low-res black background) to try and lower its memory footprint, and then run LP on top of that.

Recent updates seem to have sped up LP a little as well; I've done some unscientific "look and feel" comparisons between Sense and LP running the same apps and widgets and LP seems just as fast.

Again, I'm running a stock 2.2 OTA-updated Dinc, no factory reset, so YMMV.

Upvote 0
Sense is more than just a launcher. It is literally woven into the OS on phones that contain it. The contacts, widgets, dialer, etc. all contain elements of the Sense UI. This is the reason that it can never truly be turned off.

The only way to really use LP on your phone without having to deal with Sense is to root the phone a load a custom ROM.

Upvote 0
Do you use live wallpapers? They really slow down the transitions when using any type of launcher.

That is likely the reason then, but to be honest I kind of really like live wallpapers, even if they are resource hogging and extravagant - the policy I like to keep is that if an alternative launcher can't handle what I consider to be the necessary basics, they're not going to get used even if they have other cool stuff.

I will look up for updates to the launchers, one of them will probably get an update that streamlines use of live wallpapers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones