• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Am I the only one concerned Google has too much personal info via DROID?

I haven't and will not use Google Docs, or sync my contacts or calendar with Google. I will wait for a third party app that can do it via pc.

I already know plenty about you guys.

You get your gas from Saudi Arabia.
You get your clothes from China and Thailand.
You get your cars from Japan or Mexico.
You get your fruit from Peru.

:eek:

My "Gas" Is actually E85, which is produced in the US.
My cloths are from Walmart, so who knows.
My cars are ALL from Germany... a VW and 2 Audis.
I don't eat fruit.

This whole thread, in my eyes, is paranoia. It all reminds me of my mother. I remember having a conversation with her two years ago when she was trying to explain to me why she refused to buy things on the internet because someone was going to steal all of her money, and why she refused to get a debit card because cash was the only way to keep people from obtaining your personal information when you bought something at a store.

Nothing has been obtained from your phone that doesn't already exist on the internet. Your personal information is available to the general public through your town/city clerk. A great deal of information can be found through various websites with nothing more than your name and town you live in or your license plate numbers and $14.95. Your house can be seen on Google maps. Your class information can be found via google, and your school record can be had for $19.99 through various websites. When you used your credit card at your local grocery store or 7-11, that information was transmitted via the internet (usually satellite). Your driving record can be pulled from the DMV by anyone with your name and address and $12.95.

With information so freely available both online and offline, why would you choose this very moment now to get paranoid about it all? Why would your little tiny 6oz cell phone be the catalyst for your "world is coming to an end" epiphany?

In conclusion: Yes, I think you are overreacting. It's just a phone.

Upvote 0
I don't eat fruit.

This whole thread, in my eyes, is paranoia. It all reminds me of my mother. I remember having a conversation with her two years ago when she was trying to explain to me why she refused to buy things on the internet because someone was going to steal all of her money, and why she refused to get a debit card because cash was the only way to keep people from obtaining your personal information when you bought something at a store.

Nothing has been obtained from your phone that doesn't already exist on the internet. Your personal information is available to the general public through your town/city clerk. A great deal of information can be found through various websites with nothing more than your name and town you live in or your license plate numbers and $14.95. Your house can be seen on Google maps. Your class information can be found via google, and your school record can be had for $19.99 through various websites. When you used your credit card at your local grocery store or 7-11, that information was transmitted via the internet (usually satellite). Your driving record can be pulled from the DMV by anyone with your name and address and $12.95.

With information so freely available both online and offline, why would you choose this very moment now to get paranoid about it all? Why would your little tiny 6oz cell phone be the catalyst for your "world is coming to an end" epiphany?

In conclusion: Yes, I think you are overreacting. It's just a phone.

Just a phone!!!!
I will not talk to you anymore!
You have not been assimilated.
It is a Droid!

I am huddled in the corner of my bomb shelter, in a fetal position with my Droid, and my aluminum foil suit right now. Paronoid? or Survior?:p

Upvote 0
Having contacts, mail and calendar on Google doesn't worry me too much. It's no worse that the access Facebook have to your personal info, and actually in the case of Google vs Facebook probably better as Facebook have access to your contacts, messages, the relationship between you and the contacts, your current position/status, photos of your friends and family and often other info such as likes and dislikes...

Anything you absolutely don't want people to see like credit card info, PIN numbers, nuclear launch codes, etc can be stored in a password safe type app, where it will be encrypted and not shared with the cloud.

Upvote 0
I don't eat fruit.
So your 'gas' is still 15% Saudi oil...

As for the OP's concern:
1. You/We are not required to use any Google service for any part of your/our daily life.
2. Keep nothing on your personal electronic devices that you can not afford to lose or would`t want posted on a billboard in front of your church, employer, Mom/Gradma`s house.

Side Note; GMail is NOT a pop3 app, it is a web based mail service. A pop3 app would be Eudora, Thunderbird, et. al.

Upvote 0
Some people are really naive about who knows what and what they want to do. First of all Google has one of the best spam detection of any mail server. They provide a great service with minimal intrusion. Google does less with your personal information than does your local DMV which sells everything they know about you to anybody willing to pay for it. Have you ever seen a privacy statement from local government about what they do with your information.

I got news for you your life is an open book to anyone willing to pay the price. The credit agencies and credit card companies are hirrible. They have access to all your purchases and again will sell it to anyone willing to pay.

The only problem I have with Google services is I would not store trade secrets on their servers. And as they market more Exchange clients they will upgrade there security and will some day be one of the best.

At least Google is working for your business by supplying needed services unlike Microsoft who has lobbied for a monopoly and now has one and can ultimately tell you what software you can use.

Where have all the spreadsheets gone, gobbled up by Bill?

Upvote 0
I (personally) like the fact that I can be found at any time/place... I don't break the law and I don't have Bill Gates money, that people would want to try and steal.

If I was falsely accused of some crime, I could prove where I was. If I'm hiking in the woods (forest, which I do a lot) and got lost...guess what, someone could find me.

It's a fine line, because I don't really want "Big Brother" watching me, and I see why it could be a problem. But if you're not doing anything wrong, who cares.

Upvote 0
I don't like big companies, but the only exception to this is google.

Google makes my life so much easier. I always see people complaining about this privacy issue, and maybe I am just an exception, but I have very little private info, and the private info I do have, I would never need to put any of it on google or even a computer for that matter.

My google calander, for the most part, has my college stuff in it. In other words, if google were to look at my data, which I doubt they would, they would know I have a paper due on Thursday. Some people might not like this, but I could care less.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones