• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Amazing battery life with 2.1!

I've noticed this too. The ERE25 and ESE53 builds are much better in terms of battery life.

By the way, have you seen this thread?

[Release] Smoked Glass Boot *Updated 03/08* (ALL Builds/Voltages - 42 Kernels)

It has the choice to flash an OC kernel, with low voltages! I'm running the 1.2GHz one at the lowest voltage possible. Still getting great battery life, and I hardly get temps over 35C.

It's amazing!

At the risk of sounding noobish - how did you set up AdamZ's kernel to run with Cyanogen? It says you need SPRecovery 992 or 993, but doesnt putting SPRecovery on instead of ClockWork mess up Cyanogen? I think the one time I tried to flash SPRecovery on Cyanogen, I got FC stream upon boot. Are there ClockWork-compatible update.zips out there for the LV AdamZ's? Thanks!

Btw currently using P3Droid 1200mhz with Cyanogen because it was the only kernel I could find with a working ClockWork zip for 1.2ghz. I must say it runs nice and smooth - very slow to rise in temperature, stress tested for minutes without going over 40C at 1.2ghz!

I would like to try the LV kernels though, and I also have yet to enable JIT, after which I'm hoping to hit 15 MFLOPS and < 300 long bench like I've seen others getting :)

Upvote 0
Awesome - thanks Fabolous! I may just flash this while at work, hehe.

My first post as a bit of a side question, but to address the actual topic of this thread more directly, I must say that while everyone's touts of great battery life sound fantastic, few have actually included what type of use their Droid was under when it lasted that long.

For instance, I charged my phone to 100% last night just before going to bed, so I decided to leave it unplugged overnight at 100% and take it to work without charging it in the car, just as a sort of battery test for this new kernel/mod setup. (Cyanogen 5.0.4.2, P3Droid 1200 @ 1.2)

So, it's now been 12h30m according to the Battery Use, and I'm at 70% after all that time, with battery use as follows:

Standby: 49%
Phone Idle: 45%
Display: 5%
Wifi: 3%

I was on WiFi for about 10 minutes this morning while at home checking news/social networks before going off to work. Other than that, I've checked about 5 gmails, responded to 1, and loaded one web page.

70% Sounds great after almost 13 hours (actually just recently dropped from 80) but to be fair, I haven't really done much with the phone.

Has anyone actually used their phone steadily for the amount of time they're saying it lasted without dropping very little or any percentage?

Upvote 0
Hmm, OK, I need to pay attention to my battery life--just went to Pete's ESE53 0.8 today, but I noticed my battery life was getting VERY bad on BB 1.1--I was lucky to get 10 hours on a charge, but when I first installed it, was getting 15-19 hours (per BatteryLeft). Will have to keep a close eye on this one--hope the high temps last week didn't fry the battery...

Upvote 0
Has anyone actually used their phone steadily for the amount of time they're saying it lasted without dropping very little or any percentage?
Yesterday morning I unplugged my charged Droid at 6am and listened to Pandora through its speakers from 7am to 8:30 am and the battery had gone from 100% to 90%. I thought that was pretty amazing.

I'm running Simply Stunning ESE 2.0.3 with Chevy's 5 slot 1.2 kernel set to 800mhz.

Upvote 0
Check out post #6 here:

Low-Voltage Kernel - CyanogenMod Forum

It's AdamZ's kernel modified to run on CM5.

Also, the battery seems to be better than the included bekit kernel. Still at 90% after taking the phone off the charger about 4h ago.

Did you benchmark the LV kernal?
I did back to back with LV, MV, HV, and the Chevy 10 slot, and Chevy was the fastest. LV was @ high 190s (ms) and the Chevy was in the 130s(ms) all four at the 1200 and with identical phone conditions.

And sorry, but what is CM5?

Upvote 0
Yesterday morning I unplugged my charged Droid at 6am and listened to Pandora through its speakers from 7am to 8:30 am and the battery had gone from 100% to 90%. I thought that was pretty amazing.

I'm running Simply Stunning ESE 2.0.3 with Chevy's 5 slot 1.2 kernel set to 800mhz.

I used to get about 10% reduction per hour with minimal to moderate useage.
I haven't "calculated" it yet, but with JuiceDefender and Setting Profiles my battery life is significantly different. This was all at 1200 with Chevy 10.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones