• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Amazon underground app store

electricpete

Android Expert
Jan 7, 2012
Something new from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-com-Amazon-Underground/dp/B004GJDQT8
http://techcrunch.com/2015/08/26/am...droid-app-store-with-only-actually-free-apps/
http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/after-google-bans-app-amazon-relaunches-underground-n416456

They say $10,000 in apps are free.
It sounds like all the previous "free app of the day" apps are now perpetually free.
So if you missed some, no worries.
Any thoughts on this? Has anyone tried it out? What are the downsides?
Do any of those newly-free non-game apps really stand out as a must-have?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gmash
Why does it need a rear facing camera?
Presumably to support these "product features":
  • "...Find products, read reviews and compare prices instantly by scanning a barcode and using your phone's camera
  • ...Instantly scan Amazon gift cards and apply them to your Amazon account using your phones camera"
I haven't installed it myself yet though. For some reason I never liked the old Amazon app very much. I don't remember exactly why but I know I removed that app from my phone pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, posting at the same time.

I installed the app which does allow an easier browsing of the apps by category.
My impression is a firm "meh"...
I didn't see any apps that interested me very much.
If I've missed a good one, let me know.

I don't know what kind of deal Amazon makes with developers, but I think most developers with a successful paid app on Play wouldn't allow it to go free on Amazon. So the apps that do end up going free on Amazon probably didn't do so well on Play. Which may explain why I couldn't find anything to get excited about within "$10,000 worth" of free apps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blu8
Upvote 0
Speaking of permissions. Here are some more
  • Monitor incoming SMS messages, to record or perform processing on them
  • Send SMS messages
For which partial explanation is attempted
Receive SMS and Uninstall Shortcuts: These permissions will be used to simplify the process of phone number verification for exciting upcoming app features.
I'm sorry but there is no reason for any app to be watching my incoming SMS messages. My sms can include both personal stuff and security-sensitive stuff like two-factor authentification pass codes. And by the way every app with two factor authentification that I've ever heard of relies on the human reading the incoming sms (not the app). There is just no sensible reason for it. Vague upcoming feature doesn't cut it for me unless I am installing this app as an SMS client.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I haven't sent an SMS in years, so I have no problem with an app watching my incoming SMS messages because I don't get any. HOWEVER, it also says "Send SMS messages," which I imagine incurs a fee because SMS messages aren't free, so what's up with that???

Speaking of permissions. Here are some more
For which partial explanation is attempted

I'm sorry but there is no reason for any app to be watching my incoming SMS messages. My sms can include both personal stuff and security-sensitive stuff like two-factor authentification pass codes. And by the way every app with two factor authentification that I've ever heard of relies on the human reading the incoming sms (not the app). There is just no sensible reason for it. Vague upcoming feature doesn't cut it for me unless I am installing this app as an SMS client.

Upvote 0
I haven't sent an SMS in years, so I have no problem with an app watching my incoming SMS messages because I don't get any. HOWEVER, it also says "Send SMS messages," which I imagine incurs a fee because SMS messages aren't free, so what's up with that???
they said they will be adding a feature to simplify validating your phone number. But they already have your phone number (phone status and identity permission). I agree neither permission seems at all respectful of the user.

Upvote 0
I totally agree Pete, and if it's sending SMSs that you are charged for then the Apps aren't exactly "free" are they!! I'm going to hold up on this one until we get to the bottom of it!

they said they will be adding a feature to simplify validating your phone number. But they already have your phone number (phone status and identity permission). I agree neither permission seems at all respectful of the user.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones