• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AMD Ryzen 5/Intel core i5/i7 - Which processor works correctly with Android studio and its emulator

Theappdev

Lurker
Jun 28, 2021
Hello all,

I am new to Android development but I cannot start creating apps because the emulator won't run in my old laptop.

I am looking to buy a new laptop and found AMD Ryzen 5 is a good laptop.
However, I am not sure if I can run emulator easily on Ryzen 5 5500U/ 4600H/4800H processor with Windows 10 or Linux ( Ubuntu, Zorinos ).

Please anyone tell me if I can create apps using Android studio and its emulator on AMD Ryzen laptop or I will need an Intel core i5/i7 laptop for this ?

Can I use any of this processor for Android studio and its emulator
a) AMD Ryzen 5500U
b) AMD Ryzen 4600H
c) AMD Ryzen 4800H
d) Intel core i5 10th/11th gen
e) Intel core i7 10th/11th gen

AF has had posts about this in the past.
https://developer.android.com/studio/run/emulator-acceleration
Virtualization extension requirements
In addition to the development environment requirements, your computer's processor must support one of the following virtualization extensions technologies:

• Intel Virtualization Technology (VT, VT-x, vmx) extensions
  • AMD Virtualization (AMD-V, SVM) extensions
So the CPU and computer you choose, needs to support that. For particular AMD and Intel devices, suggest you check the relevant websites.

FWIW I know Intel i5 and i7 in a Macbook and Macbook Pro does support VT, VT-x, vmx.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Hi mikedt,

I did checked their sites but I am looking for answers from those who have used these processors with Android studio or its emulator.

I am not sure if it will work correctly on AMD. So, I need a specific answer for those model numbers given at the end of my post.

These models are newly launched and expensive ones and I am very hopeful that people must have used Android studio with emulator on AMD or Intel of these models.

I have read somewhere that the emulator was not working correctly on AMD laptops.

I am looking to know on one more point, Android studio and its emulator may work perfectly on a particular model, but will it take 30 minutes or ages to compile and run the app ?
In addition to the development environment requirements, your computer's processor must support one of the following virtualization extensions technologies:

So the CPU and computer you choose, needs to support that. For particular AMD and Intel devices, suggest you check the relevant websites.

FWIW I know Intel i5 and i7 in a Macbook and Macbook Pro does support VT, VT-x, vmx.

Hi mikedt,

I did checked their sites but I am looking for answers from those who have used these processors with Android studio or its emulator.

I have read somewhere that the emulator was not working correctly on AMD laptops.

I am not sure if it will work correctly on AMD. So, I need a specific answer for those model numbers given at the end of my post.

These models are newly launched and expensive ones and I am very hopeful that people must have used Android studio with emulator on AMD or Intel of these models.

I am looking to know on one more point, Android studio and its emulator may work perfectly on a particular model, but will it take 30 minutes or ages to compile and run the app ?

Upvote 0
Most, if not all, recent AMD processors do support vitrualization, certainly my A12 APU does, but you will need to enable it in the EFI BIOS. Even the 10+ year old Phenom processors support virtualization. It's become so common that, as a feature, it's faded into the background as far as specs go. Just make sure you max out the memory though.

Upvote 0
Most, if not all, recent AMD processors do support vitrualization, certainly my A12 APU does, but you will need to enable it in the EFI BIOS. Even the 10+ year old Phenom processors support virtualization. It's become so common that, as a feature, it's faded into the background as far as specs go. Just make sure you max out the memory though.

Hi davdi,

This means that with AMD cpu I need to check their virtualization in Processor. It is not listed on AMD site but it is given on wikichip.org. It seems tgat almost all generations of AMD will work with Android studio if they have virtualization.

Now, one more question gets added to my list if questions

Q) Can an older generation AMD cpu will work efficiently with Android studio ? A processor like 3250, 3200u, 2200, 2700. ( Not sure which processor belongs to which generation ???) will work efficiently if large RAM of, say 8 gb, is used ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones