• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

An App that keeps light on in certain apps?

Mrcapo

Sep 9, 2010
Hi all am new android lover from blackberry and am loving the change. Only thing I miss is a an app that can keep my back light on ONLY when in music player. Have searched around are there are verious apps that will keep it on but I want to be able to just plug in my stero and have the backlight stay on whilst listning to my tunes. Any genius out there done this yet??

Tasker can indeed be set to do this (this takes longer to read than to set up, don't be scared by the big block of instructions):

1. Run Tasker
  2. New at the bottom of the screen
  3. Asks for "First Context" (aka condition), select Application
    1. Wait while it loads the list of applications, may take several seconds to build the list
    2. Select your application from the grid
  4. Hit the + button near the bottom of the screen to add a step to your current task/task list (named "Anonymous") (the dropdown list and New button at the top are to select from task lists that you've already created if you have a set of tasks that you want to trigger in multiple possible situations)
  5. Select Display then Display Timeout
  6. Set your timeout value (able to set hours, minutes, seconds)
  7. (optional) Check the If box
    1. Tap the field with the %, then tap the little tag icon that appears at the top right corner of the screen.
    2. Select Battery Level
    3. Tap the button with ~ and select Maths: Greater Than
    4. Tap the second text entry box and enter 50 (or another value that makes you happy, 0-100 is the range)
  8. Tap the Done button to finish this step (setting the timeout)
  9. Tap the Done button to finish the task/task list (list of steps, with only the one step in it)
  10. (Now comes the magic)
  11. Find the "Profile" you just created (a Profile is a condition or set of conditions, plus a task or task and exit task)
  12. Tap the Task (to the right of the condition, should show something like "Display Timeout 0 ...")
  13. On the popup menu, select Add Exit Task
  14. Repeat steps 4-9 above, skipping step 7 (we want this to run regardless of the battery level) and changing the Display Timeout value back to a normal setting like 1 minute
  15. (and a little added fanciness)
  16. This newly created Profile doesn't have a name, so tap on the Context (which should just have the name of your application)
  17. On the popup menu that appears, click Profile at the bottom of the list, then click Name
  18. Enter a name like "Music keep display on" and click OK
  19. Now you have a little round down-arrow next to that name. By tapping that arrow, you can collapse the display of that Profile, which cleans things up a lot if you have many profiles defined.
Instead of the If above you could also add an additional Context (condition) for starting the task by clicking on the Context, clicking Add (to add another context), selecting State, selecting Battery Level, and setting a range of 51-100. I'm not sure which of these is more efficient battery-wise - Tasker apparently evaluates Contexts starting with the ones that take the least battery to check but nothing here should use much.

If you'd like a reminder of this, you can also add additional steps to the tasks:

1. Tap the Task and select Edit
  2. Add a step as in Step 4 above, but select Alert, then Popup and set the text to "Display timeout set to Never", then scroll down & tap Done
  3. Tap the Exit Task and select Edit
  4. Repeat this step 2 but set the text to "Display timeout set to 1 minute"
If you have the Quick Settings app installed with its Status Bar Shortcut enabled (from its Preferences), you can see this working - run your media player & see your popup message, then drag down the status bar & select Quick Settings. You'll see it show your long/never timeout, then it'll change down to 1 minute because the music player application isn't active. When you close Quick Settings & go back to the music player, it'll set your timeout back up.

Reactions: Mrcapo
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones