• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.0 Exchange Issue

jhzafrani

Nov 18, 2009
Here is an interesting issue. I did a hard reset of the phone earlier today. Now, when setting up the exchange account, it works fine and brings in emails but only up to the time when I reset the phone. Any email past 7:15 does not show up. Forcing a refresh comes up with a message saying that it is not able to connect to exchange.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

I thought we could keep this as a "Exchange Problem" thread. Glad you found your solution.

My problem is that I cannot use my Droid to set my "Out of Office" message on my exchange account.

Seems like that is pretty important for people who are checking e-mail with their phone. Has anyone else noticed this? Or am I just missing something?

Upvote 0
I'm curious: are you guys using the built in Exchange with Android?

I am confused about how the carriers handle the Exchange accounts...
I am not a "business customer" with Verizon, and thus am not paying the extra $15 a month for "corporate email" services. I tried to sync the built in Exchange with my Exchange server, but it never worked (had issues with "invalid login name/password").

To circumvent this situation, I downloaded the app Exchange by TouchDown (NitroDesk, Inc.) and was successfully connected and synced with my Exchange server in under a minute.

Is it probable that the built in Exchange service has been blocked (by Verizon) because I am not a "business customer" or paying the $15 a month extra for the Exchange email service?

Upvote 0
My problem is that I cannot use my Droid to set my "Out of Office" message on my exchange account.

I just tested out the "Out of Office" feature in the Exchange by TouchDown app and it worked.

There is a 5 day free trial of the app, and then I believe it costs $19 to purchase the full version. I figure a $19 one-time purchase of this app is much cheaper than a recurring $15 fee paid to Verizon to have access to corporate Exchange service.

Upvote 0
I'm curious: are you guys using the built in Exchange with Android?

I am confused about how the carriers handle the Exchange accounts...
I am not a "business customer" with Verizon, and thus am not paying the extra $15 a month for "corporate email" services. I tried to sync the built in Exchange with my Exchange server, but it never worked (had issues with "invalid login name/password").

To circumvent this situation, I downloaded the app Exchange by TouchDown (NitroDesk, Inc.) and was successfully connected and synced with my Exchange server in under a minute.

Is it probable that the built in Exchange service has been blocked (by Verizon) because I am not a "business customer" or paying the $15 a month extra for the Exchange email service?

If your work place has an exchange server you can connect directly to it, no extra charges from Verizon. You only have to pay the business fees if you want Verizon to be your exchange server. As for the out of office thing, I just log into webmail with the browser to set it. Outlook doesn't even do it right with our exchange server. It's exchange 2003 by the way.

Upvote 0
I liked touchdown as well but it kept duplicating my contacts every time i copy them to the phone contacts. I wish they were able to sync directly to the phone contacts.

i was going to use touchdown and have it sync mail, calendar, tasks, only and then have the built in exchange interface still running to sync contacts but i would imagine having both accounts setup with push e-mail would kill the battery fairly quickly

there is yet to be a good "full" exchange option for android. Hope it gets released soon or i may have to go back to my winmo phone :(

Upvote 0
I thought we could keep this as a "Exchange Problem" thread. Glad you found your solution.

Seems like that is pretty important for people who are checking e-mail with their phone. Has anyone else noticed this? Or am I just missing something?
out of office issue here too on HTC Incredible. Says unable to get your out of office settings from the exhcnage server right now. Please try again later......

Upvote 0
a co worker of mine got a droid yesterday and I am trying to help him set it up. we got his exchange email working this morning while using his verizon data connection. he later set his phone up to access the office wifi connection, and now his exchange email will not sync. If he turns wifi off and forces his phone to use his mobile data, it works. I know the reason for this is because the server address to access the exchange server is different if you are trying to access it from inside the office network as opposed to trying to access it from another network.
my question is this, is there a setting that he can toggle to make just his email connect via verizons network, and keep everything else connecting via wifi?
On my nokia, in my mail for exchange settings, i have a setting for default access point, and i set it to AT&T internet and can browse the web and what not over the office wifi and have my exchange keep working over 3g. just wondering if the droid has a similar setting somewhere.

Upvote 0
a co worker of mine got a droid yesterday and I am trying to help him set it up. we got his exchange email working this morning while using his verizon data connection. he later set his phone up to access the office wifi connection, and now his exchange email will not sync. If he turns wifi off and forces his phone to use his mobile data, it works. I know the reason for this is because the server address to access the exchange server is different if you are trying to access it from inside the office network as opposed to trying to access it from another network.

The server address would only be set up wrong if his phone was configured to use the internal address. Under that configuration the phone would only be working on the internal wifi and not 3G. Instead, your coworker's problem is the exact opposite.

Is anyone else having this issue at your company? If so, chances are this is actually a configuration issue with your company's LAN/router/firewall. If your firewall does not have "loopback" connections enabled (where a device on the LAN can access another device on the LAN via that device's WAN address) then the exact scenario you mentioned in your post will play out. I know this because I had to enable loopback connections on my network at work in order for people to use their Exchange sync on the internal wifi.

Ask your IT admin about this and point them to this document - Technical Note - SonicOS Enhanced 2.0: Configuring DNS NAT Loopback - File Info & Download - SonicWALL, Inc.. This applies specifically for SonicWALL devices on an old firmware, but the basic concept should apply to any make of network appliance. In the PDF, "LAN Server Object" refers to your Exchange server's internal IP address and "WAN Server Object" refers to your Exchange server's Internet/external IP address.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones