• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.2 Platform Highlights [Video]

Thanks for the link :D

Happy to hear about all the improvements (love the numeric unlock option instead of pattern!) but I REALLY wanted the 360* rotation and colored trackball alerts...

Cant wait for Froyo :)

you do get colored trackball alerts :D

EXCLUSIVE: New Android 2.2 Features Exposed! (Update All, Auto-Update Apps, Speed Boost, Tethering, Flash, Color Trackball, Car Dock Improvements) [With Pics] | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Hacks, Videos, Podcast

Upvote 0
"Car Docking
Froyo updated the layout of the Car Home app when the Nexus One is placed in the Google Car Dock. The Android 2.1 screen looked like this:
android2.1cardock_thumb2.jpg

And the new Froyo screen looks like this:
android2.2cardock_thumb2.jpg

Main changes:
The Directions button is the same as the View Map button from 2.1, and you can access Navigation from within the Google Maps app that gets launched.
Added a Music icon
Added a Phone icon
Removed the text search icon
Modified the Home button with an Exit Car Mode button
Other changes I noted was that once you exit Car Home mode, tapping the Home button on the Nexus One does not return you to Car Home mode, it keeps you at the basic Android desktop; you need to manually restart the Car Home application.
It was also a nice surprise to see that while in the Google Car Dock, the main Android Desktop is also rotated, something that 2.1 was not capable of.
2.2desktoprotateswhenincardock_thumb2.jpg
"

EXCLUSIVE: New Android 2.2 Features Exposed! (Update All, Auto-Update Apps, Speed Boost, Tethering, Flash, Color Trackball, Car Dock Improvements) [With Pics] | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Hacks, Videos, Podcast

That's so cool. release images of the car dock. I like how the home screen is rotatable in car dock. I wonder how hard it is to get the home screen rotatable without the car dock.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones