• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.2? The rumors begin!

"Hulu videos are currently offered only to users in the United States.[4] In order to ensure that no international users outside the US have access to the videos, Hulu blocks many anonymous proxies and virtual private networks. Hulu provides video in Flash Video format, including many films and shows that are available in 360p and 480p."

I got that from wikipedia. So far, I see nothing about Silverlight, but their reason is right in the quote. Well, hopefully, we'll have a Hulu app very soon...

I have not tried, but I thought you can watch hulu with SKYFIRE?

Upvote 0
I have not tried, but I thought you can watch hulu with SKYFIRE?

Negative. I just tested it, and I get better results from my sense browser (standard internet browser for Incredible, plays the flash on main page and 3 seconds of video before the Hulu cap out). Skyfire won't even display the flash on the main page, let alone 3 seconds of video! Skyfire is still in beta, though, but it also NEEDS flash 10.1. My Incredible gets flash through Sense.

Upvote 0
I am glad to have a google nexus one. I am also very excited about froyo. It's 6 days to go for google IO. And I've read guys talking on internet that the update (android 2.2) will be available as soon as it is announced at google IO. I hope it is true. And yeah, a week is too long time to go. :D :D

Upvote 0
was this guy serious?

That was just a troll. Apple fanboys are blind and biased. I know, I work with one.

I showed him my Incredible, and all he could say is "iPhone 4g is where its at."

Unless Apple starts pumping out more varieties of iPhone per year, they'll never keep up. Therefore, we'll always have jealous fanboys trolling in here.

On the bright side, Android should cause Apple to come up with something new to compete against, thus sparking even BETTER phones popping up!

Upvote 0
Having just managed to upgrade my phone to 2.1 via Odin, it scares me that 2.2 is going to be faster! LOL 2.1 is ten times faster than the original ROM that was on my Spica - well it seems that way anyhow.

Now I'm just going to have to hope that Samsung will continue to upgrade the Spica to 2.2 or one later than that. It seems like every time I turn around on these forums, a new version of android's up! Samsung's not allowed to stop supporting the Spica for the next two years :p

Upvote 0
was this guy serious?

No. He is just an apple fan. "iPhone was king". As android has covered more percentage of market in US. If he is talkin' about the multitasking feature of iPhone. Then multitasking was there in android from beginning and it is far better than iPhone will have as per some technical person's blog I've read. Don't have its link. But if I will find I will post it here. Besides that do you know that fennec(a.k.a firefox) and flash is not coming for iPhone. why? iPhone OS 4 and iPhone 4G is made to reach upto the level of android phones.

That was just a troll. Apple fanboys are blind and biased. I know, I work with one.

I showed him my Incredible, and all he could say is "iPhone 4g is where its at."

Unless Apple starts pumping out more varieties of iPhone per year, they'll never keep up. Therefore, we'll always have jealous fanboys trolling in here.

On the bright side, Android should cause Apple to come up with something new to compete against, thus sparking even BETTER phones popping up!

Agreed.

Upvote 0
I've been waiting for 2.1 for my Hero for so long that honestly I couldn't care less about 2.2. 2.1 has been moved forrward in time again, so I suppose when the time for Hero to get 2.2 will come I'll probably be three/four contracts away from the grim memories of having one (Hero)...

Don't get me wrong, the phone's decent though bit dated and since most of us Hero owners are stuck with 1.5 it not obly lags every now and then but most importantly there's no proper multi-touch support and Wi-Fi... Don't get me started on this one. I had to get an external app so that it would keep connected and not disconnect in the middle of me using it...

2.2? 2.1? So far I don't belive that I'll ever have anything over 1.5...

2.1 has been leaked, i have it on my htc hero now. i even called sprint to see if it would it would cause any problems if i installed it. they said 2.1 was fine. but if 2.2 leaks they reccomended not to install it tell acctual release because they wouldnt have support for it... only a few weeks i hope well see 2.2 out ready for installation

Upvote 0
I'd like to see a fix on:

1. The menu lights at the bottom don't always turn on. It's random really. In a dark room it's hard to impossible to see the touch buttons.

2. I'm convinced that the battery (full charge) problem is a software problem and not a battery problem. The phone is reporting a 100% charge when it's clearly not the case.

Upvote 0
I'd like to see a fix on:

1. The menu lights at the bottom don't always turn on. It's random really. In a dark room it's hard to impossible to see the touch buttons.

2. I'm convinced that the battery (full charge) problem is a software problem and not a battery problem. The phone is reporting a 100% charge when it's clearly not the case.

i doubt either of these are android problems, they're more likely problems with your specific phone model's firmware - complain to the manufacturer, not google

Upvote 0
2.1 has been leaked, i have it on my htc hero now. i even called sprint to see if it would it would cause any problems if i installed it. they said 2.1 was fine. but if 2.2 leaks they reccomended not to install it tell acctual release because they wouldnt have support for it... only a few weeks i hope well see 2.2 out ready for installation

I also installed the pre-release HTC Hero 2.1 Update. It runs great, but lacks a lot of the features I expected to see such as live wallpaper etc. But is tons smoother and faster. Love the weather how it ambiently displays on the entire screen after unlock. For partly cloudy, slow cloud cover, for thunderstorm you get lightning on screen etc. It's awesome.

iPhone, just to address the troll, is a great device in it's own right. Smooth, fun, and sophisticated in a single-tasking kind of way. There is a certain lack of freedom associated with the use of Apple products though. And an air of elitist behavior. The device itself has been one of a kind for so long though that now that it has competitors..it just seems like apple doesn't really know what to do to make it better than Android. With the new iPhone coming soon, it's now on par with the abilities of any basic Android OS phone. It's not this next iPhone that will be a ripple in the pond..but the next generation that follows this next one that may make waves. We'll see, because on the other hand..Android isn't closed, and isn't waiting to let Apple catch up.

Upvote 0
Just to elaborate on features of 2.2 and what jjswee said

I thought I'd just post the tweet that Rob (our AF leader) is tweeting:

- 2-5x speed increase in performance regardless of your hardware
- Better native Exchange support for Android 2.2! "We are now Exchange's friend". Introduces more powerful enterprise tools
- New API to support data portability in apps for devs! Moving to a different phone = moving your apps and settings along with it
- Google services (Gmail, Maps, etc) trigger intents from Web-based versions of apps. Immediate push notifications
- Send directions, web pages, and more straight to your device!
- Tethering and Wifi Hotspot officially baked into Froyo! How about connecting that iPad to the internet using a Nexus One?
- V8 Javascript Engine announced for Android. 2x-3x performance increase in the Android browser.
- Thanks to HTML 5, your browser will be able to access your phone's sensors, such as the camera and accelorometer
- Smart voice-search based on keywords. Enhanced voice recognition
- New voice recognition allows you to control Froyo. "Call Fifth Street restaurant".
- Translate your voice using Google translate in the browser as it automatically plays back the language it was translated to!
- Android market getting some enhancements
-Adobe's Flash and AIR is coming!
- App search widget: search for apps right from your desktop. Also global search within app data thanks to new API
- Apps to SD announced! Froyo will enable you to install apps to your SD card without having to worry about partitioning!
- Instead of forcing an app to close after crash, you can send a report along with the crash details right to the developer
- Browse android market from your computer, install apps over the air without having to touch your device
- Buy music, and send it right to your device, too
- Stream music to your device without it having to be on your SD card

Well, got to say, 2.2 is officially not a rumor anymore!!!!!!! :D

I'm excited about Apps2SD...definitely something that is needed...I'm not sure if enhance voice search recognition applies to BT voice dialing...

Reactions: rcaine and thtl
Upvote 0
Just to elaborate on features of 2.2 and what jjswee said

I thought I'd just post the tweet that Rob (our AF leader) is tweeting:

Well, got to say, 2.2 is officially not a rumor anymore!!!!!!! :D

I'm excited about Apps2SD...definitely something that is needed...I'm not sure if enhance voice search recognition applies to BT voice dialing...

it does:

Bluetooth:
Voice dialing over Bluetooth
Ability to share contacts with other phones
Support for Bluetooth enabled car and desk docks
Improved compatibility matrix with car kits and headsets

Thats from Android 2.2 Platform Highlights | Android Developers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones