• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android 2.3.3 Texting Problem

Hi,

I'm hoping somebody can help me as I have a rather strange issue on my HTC Desire HD handset ever since I completed the Android 2.3.3 update. Since then I have had problems with sending text messages to any contact that is not a linked facebook contact. For example I have no problem texting my girlfriend but when i try to text my mum and i hit send, it briefly comes up with the spinning loading logo which disappears but the text has not sent. It doesnt come up with any error message either and does not create a thread like other messages.

Can anybody help me with this problem as soon I will be starting a new job and won't be able to add my boss on facebook straight away but will need to text him?

Thanks
Michael

You're not the only person who's had issues with their phonebook/SMS since the update so I wonder if there's some sort of bug with the new software?

http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-support-troubleshooting/332645-sms-contact-pictures.html

http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...roid-2-3-update-deleted-my-sim-phonebook.html

There's this too, but that could just be a quirk of the update process, not necessarily problems with the update itself.

I thought there were more than that, but can't find them at the moment.

Have you tried a 3rd Party App (GoSMS, Handcent, Chomp)?

Upvote 0
I've seen several problems with the contacts but not any solutions yet, but it is still early days for HDH users on the 2.3.3 software. Already seen 2.3.4 for Nexus users but that might be ages again.

What do the 3rd party services do? I haven't tried any, do I just install them and go? Do they use my contract as normal?

Upvote 0
Yeah, they're principally the same as the stock messaging app but are more customisable/offer alternative looks or features.

Take a look -

Chomp

GoSMS

Handcent

They have no effect on your contract and still operate within the confines of whatever package you have for SMS. I personally don't like any of them (too cartoony), but many others think they're great.

Reactions: michaelowens1
Upvote 0
Hi,
I have also issues regarding texting with the 2.3 update. I have SFR french operator and 90% of time I write text messages, there is a bug that a page appears asking me which past text message to delete...

So every time I write a text message, I have to quit this page, save the message as draft, then I can come back on writing and it (should) work... Really not handy when you wanna write fast...

I also had couple of apps not working since the 2.3 update and had to reinstall all.... :(

Upvote 0
i also have a texting issue, i text someone and when they reply it actually goes before my text.. meaning its getting jumbled up..

for example, im my msgs/.
friend= hiyaa
friend= how are you?
me= yeah im good ta :D u?
friend= im ok thankss xxxx
me= heyy!
me=good :)

why does this keep happening? its only been since the update and its really starting to annoy me, i also had another issue, loosing wifi all the time/ and time mysteriously changing ?

Upvote 0
Since the update, I was having issues with text messages as well. When I would select certain contacts to start a new message there would already be text (seemed to be copied from previous messages) in the text box. I tried deleting contacts (and adding them again), restarting, clearing cache, but I couldn't find a fix.

Based on suggestions in this thread, I downloaded GoSMS and everything is working fine again. As to the third party apps being "cartoony", I agree that the default was just that. However, you can easily change the theme in this particular app to very normal selections. I can't speak for any of the other third party apps mentioned.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Upvote 0
Hey

I have a HTC Desire HD on Three. Had it about four months. I've just started incuring problems with text messages. A I cannot send messages to a handful of my contacts. Every message I compose, be it a new message or a reply, results in it being saved as a draft. I have tried deleting contacts and re-entering them. The numbers are not saved in any particular way, such as +44. This is really frustrating. Does anyone know how to resolve this please?

Upvote 0
Hey

I have a HTC Desire HD on Three. Had it about four months. I've just started incuring problems with text messages. A I cannot send messages to a handful of my contacts. Every message I compose, be it a new message or a reply, results in it being saved as a draft. I have tried deleting contacts and re-entering them. The numbers are not saved in any particular way, such as +44. This is really frustrating. Does anyone know how to resolve this please?

If you use something like GoSMS or Handcent, that's been known to resolve.

Upvote 0
I had this same issue on my new Bionic, running OS 2.3.4 (Gingerbread). It turns out that there is a bug where if you use the proper country code prefix (such as +1 for USA, or +44 for UK) then the text fails with "Cause code: Addr.Vcnt., 0" (very descriptive, huh?). I was able to text my local friends only after deleting the number and re-entering it without the +1 country code prefix. This is of course a serious issue, especially since that format is what is imported from my Skype contacts. Since I need that country code prefix to dial overseas using Skype, this is a big pain. Regrettably, I don't see that anyone is addressing this issue yet. But at least deleting the country code prefix is a workaround.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
Hi,

I'm hoping somebody can help me as I have a rather strange issue on my HTC Desire HD handset ever since I completed the Android 2.3.3 update. Since then I have had problems with sending text messages to any contact that is not a linked facebook contact. For example I have no problem texting my girlfriend but when i try to text my mum and i hit send, it briefly comes up with the spinning loading logo which disappears but the text has not sent. It doesnt come up with any error message either and does not create a thread like other messages.

Can anybody help me with this problem as soon I will be starting a new job and won't be able to add my boss on facebook straight away but will need to text him?

Thanks
Michael

I had the same problem with my phone and the texting after I updated to 2.3.3. Taking the battery completely out solved the problem.

Upvote 0
i only saw this on one site.....delete the app advanced task killer....it saved my phone and i did not have to do a reset at all!!!! for some reason they are not compatible....hope this helps! my phone was literally gone to freezing and shutting off...not getting calls, texts, not playing music NOTHING....deleted that app and now im back in business :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones