Advertisement
    :
  2. nonotz

nonotz Active Member

is that for real ?

last time i heard its around mid 2011 or Q3 2011
  3. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

The original SlashGear article can be found here, if you have any doubts.
  4. Bigsmoke

Bigsmoke Member

will this update remove sense?
  5. Slug

No, this will include Sense as per HTC's usual practice.
  6. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

Will this update add missing symbols on the physical keyboard?
  7. Slug

I've only got the same info as everyone else i.e. what was posted in the article, so I can't definitely answer that. However recent firmware updates have reintroduced the missing characters from the <SYM> menu so I would expect this to be carried over to 2.3.
  8. Menddles

Menddles Well-Known Member

HTC UK
    We know that you&#8217;ve been seeing a number of posts about the Gingerbread update (Android 2.3.3) for HTC Incredible S and HTC Desire HD. Just to let you know that we&#8217;re in the final stages of testing here in the UK, just to ensure that the update runs smoothly and will confirm a date for rollout as soon as we can. We really appreciate your patience and support on this.

From their Facebook page...w00t.
  9. smakme7757

smakme7757 Well-Known Member

My wife got the update a few days ago on her Desire HD. Now i want it on my Desire Z. Her phone seems so much smoother after the update so i'm looking forward to it!
  10. shivsena

shivsena New Member

Anymore news on when 2.3 will be rolled out to the Desire Z?
  11. Menddles

The last word I heard was end of June...
  12. bbabiuk

bbabiuk Member

Yeah, I read somewhere end of June, but the days are ticking away. They are going to have to hurry. Sadly, My Desire Z may never see Gingerbread if it keeps acting up like this. I'm almost ready to replace it. It seems to overheat after continued gaming (i got addicted to Drag Racing), and it becomes totally unresponsive after awhile. Plus had to get rid of my otterbox for it, as it would overheat after awhile in my pocket.
  13. Menddles

I was talking about this with someone the other day. They got less than a week left of June and we haven't anything since May. DHD came out at the same time and its got it. The Desire came out in March 2010 and its getting it before the Z. I went through the same thing with my HTC Hero, it was meant to be the Flagship phone when it came out and then they just left it for ages before they released an update. As much as I love my Z and HTC they are getting on my nerves especially with Sense. It just doesn't want to work, 5 times out of 10 when I press the home button, Sense will restart. I had the same thing with the Hero too.

P.S. Drag Racing rocks.
  14. Slug

True that, which makes you wonder if HTC's software engineers are having problems squeezing it into 256MB less RAM? If so it would be ironic considering I've been running 2.3.3 with Sense 3.0 (essentially the Sensation ROM ported to HVGA) for weeks. If that can be done then surely the "experts" with access to the propriatory Sense source code can do a better job?

Or is it? It was, then HTC announced that it wouldn't be updated due to space constraints, quickly followed by a retraction saying it would but with some content relegated to optional downloads. Since then... nada.

I pray I'm proved wrong, but right now I have a feeling that HTC will say whatever they think their users want to hear. First the so-far unfullfilled promise of unencrypted bootloaders, now this.... I'm not sure if I trust them any longer tbh.
  15. Bigsmoke

Bigsmoke Member

I don't get it, why is everybody crying about not getting Gingerbread? When you do get it I bet you won't be able to tell the difference...
  16. smakme7757

I am 100% positive that it is possible to give the HD and Z the full blown feature set that is sense 3.0 and Android 2.3.3 seeing as the Virtuous Unity rom delivers exactly that!

I just feel that HTC is releasing so many new phones now that they are dropping support for their previous flagship phones way too early. My wife got Android 2.3.3 on her HD, but she has only got a few of the new addition from sense 3.0 otherwise the GUI hasn't changed.

Either that or we who purchased a Desire HD/Z got the 'bridge' phones which were released to fill the gap before the Incredible S and Sensation which are the current top of the hill models.

Sense 3.0 looks really nice and is a big change from sense 2.1 as well as bringing bug fixes and optimizations.

Android updates will improve phone performance and fix security issues and bugs.

Why wouldn't we want to update?
  17. Slug

Exactly! :)

edit: just noticed a report that Orange rolled 2.3 out to their HD handsets today. By all accounts that's the HD update complete.... so where's ours HTC, huh?

People are complaining because

(a) the manufacturer stated months ago that we would get it.

(b) 2.3.x brings added functionality and increased efficiency.
  18. aburn76

aburn76 New Member

I have been looking on several sites these last few days and noticed a lot of them are showing this quotation from HTC regarding the 2.3 Gingerbread OS being cancelled:

"Our engineering teams have been working hard for the past few months to find a way to bring Gingerbread to the HTC Desire without compromising the HTC Sense experience you​
  19. Bigsmoke

Bigsmoke Member

With the arrival of gingerbread to the Z we won't get sense 3.0. There is an article in gsmarena where they say that we won't get sense 3.0 due to hardware.
  20. smakme7757

And you wanted to know why people were "Crying"? You just answered your own question.....

Not to mention Virtuous Unity rom that has sense 3.0 and Android 2.3.3 that works buttery smooth on my Desire Z. The Desire HD is more powerful than the Desire Z and it didn't even get the full Sense 3.0 experience (My wife has the latest update for her HD).

I have a feeling HTC wants to try to make it's new flagship model stand out from its older top dogs. I don't see myself buying a new phone just for a new GUI though.

I'm running Android 2.3.4 on mine at the moment. There are heaps of custom roms for the Desire Z that have both Android 2.3.3 and Sense 3.0 if you want that.

It's ahrd to take HTC seriously when i can download and install a rom made by a coder at home and it works perfectly. That HTC with all their engineers and equipment can't figure it out blows my mind.

21. Bigsmoke

Bigsmoke Member

I thought we we're just talking about gingerbread in this topic :p
  22. Slug

We are. Smakme's point is valid.... it's difficult to take HTC's claims about 2.3.x seriously when community devs can prove them incorrect. Remember that it was HTC who announced to the world that the HD and Z would be receiving 2.3.x, so it's not unreasonable to expect that they knew what they were talking about.
  23. Audiobear

Audiobear Well-Known Member

well, we're well past Mid-Summer's Day. By no stretch of the imagination can we describe July as 'Spring'. So WHEN is the proclaimed update to Android 2.3 aka Gingerbread going to happen? Christmas 2011? 2012?
  24. Slug

At a guess I'd say perhaps by the end of this month, going by this article.
  25. Naruvam

Naruvam Well-Known Member

got bored of waiting and took a trip to xda and rooted my Z