• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android/Apple?

Steven58

Former Heavyweight Champion of AF-Early Bird Club
Feb 19, 2010
USA
Well, those who know/knew me are aware how much I adored Android OS. I was here back in the day when it was easier to Root/Rom. Nowadays, the phone manufacturers have employed most of the benefits of Custom Roms. They are now baked into the Android anyway, and for me root/customizing has lost its purpose and appeal. The last phone I customized was the fabled Galaxy Nexus on Verizon. Since then, I've been on the Note 4 and now I'm on the Note 8 for the last 10 months.

I used to hate security like Knox, but now that my entire life, financial and otherwise, is on my phone, I do see the use for it and appreciate the security.

This coming Black Friday I am thinking of even switching to iPhone. I know that's crazy, coming from me, but these aren't wild west days of Android and rooting anymore. The more time goes by the less distinguishable phones are from each other, anyway.

Phone improvements are all incremental, anyway. There really haven't been game changers for a long time now. I will say, however, that I am very curious about Samsung's rumored folding phone. On the hand, there have been rumors of folding/bending phones, now, for many years and nothing happens. Just thinking out loud.

Thoughts?

Btw, Hi again, friends.

Steven

Not being familiar with the Iphone at all, how much into customizing are you wanting to do, or not do?
I mean, can you have custom themes, icons, folders and such that Android Launchers provide, or substratum provides?

I don't root myself anymore but I do customize my device's look with different launchers and such.

Hey Mike! How you doing?

Besides customizing the launcher, I don't do much at all anymore. I use stock Sammy launcher although I have a Nova licence.

Upvote 0
The inability to customise the homescreens would annoy me a lot with an iPhone. I put information displays (widgets) on mine and no app icons at all, just a set of folders in the dock), so Apple's "90s PDA" interface (pages of app icons) is the opposite of my preference. But many people are unbothered.

Otherwise they work, some things well, some things a bit clumsily. I won't be switching myself in the foreseeable future, but if you think it might work for you give it a play.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Hi Steven! Good to see you slummin' 'round these parts. :)

In these days of terrabyte storage and multicore processors in your pocket, i can't understand how Apple continues to throw all the app icons on the home screen. Sure you can organize with folders, but really the iOS paradigm hasn't changed much over the years. I have an iPad Air I use primarily to watch media and even though it's up-to-date with iOS, it seems almost antiquated next to an older Galaxy Note 10.1 running Lollipop.

I would also think about how much you have invested in Google vs. Apple. While it's certainly possible to access Google services on an iDevice, it just feels kludgy.

Now, if the majority of your communication circle of family and friends use iDevices, you might consider setting aside the Draconian stagnation of the iOS interface for the excellent performance and function you'll get within Apple's walled garden. But of course, you live in the "garden state" . ;)

Reactions: Steven58
Upvote 0
Well, those who know/knew me are aware how much I adored Android OS. I was here back in the day when it was easier to Root/Rom. Nowadays, the phone manufacturers have employed most of the benefits of Custom Roms. They are now baked into the Android anyway, and for me root/customizing has lost its purpose and appeal. The last phone I customized was the fabled Galaxy Nexus on Verizon. Since then, I've been on the Note 4 and now I'm on the Note 8 for the last 10 months.

I used to hate security like Knox, but now that my entire life, financial and otherwise, is on my phone, I do see the use for it and appreciate the security.

This coming Black Friday I am thinking of even switching to iPhone. I know that's crazy, coming from me, but these aren't wild west days of Android and rooting anymore. The more time goes by the less distinguishable phones are from each other, anyway.

Btw, Hi again, friends.

Steven

Welcome back Steven,

I'm still in China, the real wild west of Android. The curated walled garden of iOS without VPNs(1), makes iPhones and iPads completely useless to me. And in fact I've known quite a few expats here ditch their closed and locked iPhones in favour of open Androids.

(1) https://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/31/apple-removes-vpn-apps-in-china-app-store.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Steven58
Upvote 0
Hi Steven! Good to see you slummin' 'round these parts. :)

In these days of terrabyte storage and multicore processors in your pocket, i can't understand how Apple continues to throw all the app icons on the home screen. Sure you can organize with folders, but really the iOS paradigm hasn't changed much over the years. I have an iPad Air I use primarily to watch media and even though it's up-to-date with iOS, it seems almost antiquated next to an older Galaxy Note 10.1 running Lollipop.

I would also think about how much you have invested in Google vs. Apple. While it's certainly possible to access Google services on an iDevice, it just feels kludgy.

Now, if the majority of your communication circle of family and friends use iDevices, you might consider setting aside the Draconian stagnation of the iOS interface for the excellent performance and function you'll get within Apple's walled garden. But of course, you live in the "garden state" . ;)

Heya Luna!

I did think of all that. The cost of all I have already invested in apps on Android, etc. I also use widgets and folders on the homescreen. So, I agree with everything said. There is one thing which could be a game changer for me, though. The XS is going to come with dual sim capability. I have all my calls for business and personal coming through my cell. I no longer have a land line in home or business. It does get annoying. I'd like to have dual sim capability in one phone rather than having to get two entire phones. That's a game changer for me. We shall see.

Android used to be part of my life as a big and time consuming hobby. I used to root and custom rom. I modded here. Now? Android is just my phone. It's a tool. Times change.

Steven

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The XS is going to come with dual sim capability.
A lot of international Android phones have dual sim slots and will work with all US gsm carriers, I think. Check out the OnePlus6. That looks pretty nice.

Dual sim slots wasn't a thing here while carrier subsidies for phones ruled. Now that it's getting to be less of a standard, maybe more will show up in flagships.

Upvote 0
A lot of international Android phones have dual sim slots and will work with all US gsm carriers, I think. Check out the OnePlus6. That looks pretty nice.

Dual sim slots wasn't a thing here while carrier subsidies for phones ruled. Now that it's getting to be less of a standard, maybe more will show up in flagships.

i know..
but i have verizon... drat.

Upvote 0
The OnePlus6 supports dual sims and CDMA. Are you trying to have TWO CDMA connections on one device? Does the new iPhone do that? Is that even possible?
Yeah, it's a sim baked into the hardware called eSim.. The carrier can control your sim connections. It's limiting, but it's two CDMA lines. I need Verizon because I do a LOT of talking on the phone and big red has the best coverage by far. I need that. I can't afford to drop business calls.

I wasn't aware of any dual sim card phone that would work on Verizon.. if there was one, I'd sell my note 8 and buy it outright. Is there one?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones