• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Beats iPhone In US Subscriber Numbers [Smartphones]

phandroid

Admin News Bot
Apr 12, 2008
The growth of Android is undeniable. Everywhere you look at CES, some company is announcing some type of Android something. Whether phone, tablet, hybrid or something else- Android is penetrating every end of the tech market. And more importantly, consumers are buying into it as well. Moving from October 2010 to November 2010, Android overtook [...]

More...

Win Mo was on all carriers and just as many phones....and look what happened with that.

Eventually the Many vs one argument will have to be given up and just give credit to Android for doing something Win Mo couldnt do. And Win Mo started out ahead of the iPhone. AND Android is just a few years in.

The last time this happened with market share in the same amount of time? Take a guess.....lol

A certain company should be feeling some de ja vue...

Upvote 0
The WM argument isn't valid either. WM was never as popular as the iphone.

If the iphone was available on all carriers like android, I'm pretty sure the iphone sales would top android. Not because the iphone is a better device, but because it's an easier device to operate.

So the fact that android is out selling the iphone when there are so many android phones on every single carrier is not a surprise.

Upvote 0
The WM argument isn't valid either. WM was never as popular as the iphone.

Before the iPhone came out, market share was BB, Win Mo and all the rest. About a year and 1/2 after the iPhone came out, it was BB, iPhone, Win Mo and all the rest.

Its amazing what the iPhone did in that short amount of time. Its devastating what the iPhone and Android combined has done to Win Mo since.

Seeing as Win Mo was and still is on many phones on all 4 carriers, I think its still valid.

Upvote 0
The iPhone is available on all carriers almost everywhere except the US.

Android is gaining a lot of ground here in the UK, with phones like the Desire, Desire Z, Desire HD, Nexus S, Galaxy S, Wildfire, etc.

Yup, android is doing quite well, even where the iphone is available on all carriers. I can't wait to see how the iphone coming to verizon impacts things. I predict that the biggest impact we will see is people moving from at&t iphones to the verizon iphones. It probably won't happen all that quickly though, we'll probably see it after people get off of their 2 year contracts.

Upvote 0
This is going to be short lived. Verizon is announcing their iphone tomorrow.

We'll have to see I guess. Your statement goes with the assumption that everyone on Verizon's network has an Android device because they can't have the iPhone. I don't think this is the case. Sure there will be converts. I also think now that ATT is getting a plethora of Android phones this year we will see a vast increase in ATT Android sales. I don't think the iPhone will dominate Verizon's networks like so many others seem to.

Upvote 0
This is going to be short lived. Verizon is announcing their iphone tomorrow.

the sheer number of android devices far outweighs who the carriers are. those dead set on iphones went straight to AT&T and pre ordered not caring at all who the provider was. those who arent dead set on the iphone will likely have to like it better than four or five android devices that will be in the same store and lets face it with the technology and rate these android phones are coming out iphones are going to have to seriously speed up their model runs and hardware to compete. If the competition now is a droid x, facinate or an "old" evo 4g tell me how long that same iphone 4 is suppose to compete with whats coming just around the corner and lord 6 months from now. iphones 5, 6 and 7 are going to have to start coming alot faster. if not the boost in market share provided by adding verizon is the only thing thats going to be short lived. even if they do it will be short lived, just too many android devices with too many major companies vested in it. open vs closed tend to have that effect.

As far as being simplier and more intuative to operate well how much has that done for apples pc market share. basically the same things going to happen as smartphones become more commonplace unless apple has a major change in philosophy. simple result of open vs closed. I'm sure Motorola, samsung and HTC would love to make iphone OS devices but since they cant its obvious what will happen in the long run with android being the dominant open source OS. I'm sure apple knows this and doesn't care. they arent going anywhere and have core customers who arent going to switch no matter what.

Upvote 0
I think the media... and even posts here, blow the whole ATT iPhone thing out of proportion - 90% of the population simply doesn't care. The vocal few are making all sorts of noise about it, but it'll be very interesting how many of these I'm-getting-out-of-ATT-the-instant-the-iPhone's-available-elsewhere people really do, as it's human nature to whine and complain, and another thing to actually do something about it. I suspect a big percentage of the "angry people" will get very quiet, as they're too lazy to actually cancel their subscription immediately. Oh, they'll leave, but it's going to take many months.

Then there's the possibility that ATT's network speeds up due to the off-loading, and with them getting some kick-butt Android phones, we'll just have to see how many really do leave.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones