• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android Core Apps data and battery usage

Hi, recently my data usage has been getting eaten up really fast and I've noticed that my phone battery isn't lasting to the end of the day like it used to. When checking the data usage and battery usage the android core apps is the culprit. It includes things such as contacts storage, content provider, user dictionary, HTC internal settings, and LED settings. All other apps have minimal data and battery usage. Other posts suggest to turn off the google back up data but mine has always been off. Could someone please help as I only get 1.5GB data a month, and this used to be enough, but at the rate this is eating my data it would only last me 10 days. Please take a look at the screen shots below, and thank you in advance for helping out.
Screenshot_2015-07-21-21-51-26.png
Screenshot_2015-07-21-21-52-12.png
Screenshot_2015-07-21-21-52-59.png

I've noted that if you click on "Android core apps" from the data usage screen, down the bottom you should have the option to "restrict background data". If you click that then it will only use Wifi, and so it will save your mobile data.
Cool. Got it. But would you happen to know what is actually using it up? Also, if I restrict the background data, would it effect anything else? Cheers

Upvote 0
Cool. Got it. But would you happen to know what is actually using it up? Also, if I restrict the background data, would it effect anything else? Cheers
the phone just says that they are the LED settings, User Dictionary, Contacts Storage, and HTC internal settings, but unsure why they would need so much data and battery usage. When you restrict the background data nothing else is affected, everything else works normally.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones