• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android in Spain?

Slumdog

Lurker
Aug 18, 2010
This is my first post - hi everyone.

I'm moving to Spain in a few weeks (I now live in USA). I'll be there for a year. Of course I'll need a cell phone once I get there, and I'd like it to be an Android. My current phone is an old piece of junk from Sprint and it won't work in Europe anyway. I know some Android phones are available through Spanish cell phone companies (Movistar, Vodafone, Orange). Here are my two questions:

1. If you were in my position - going to Spain for a year and wanting an Android (or if worse comes to worst an iphone) - would you buy an unlocked Android/iphone in the US before traveling and then buy a SIM card from a Spanish company and pay for voice and data as you go (or try to sign up for a contract)?
OR: would you wait until you got to Spain and buy an Android from a Spanish phone company?
OR: Would you just use a non-Android phone for a year or some other option I haven't thought of?

2. Anyone know anything about Spanish cell phone contracts (are they always for 18 months or are there 12 month contracts available too) vs. a pay-as-you-go plan? Anyone know how data plans (contract vs. non-contract plans) work with Spanish cell phone companies?

Thanks in advance!

SlumD.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones