• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android Keyboard: Hyphenated words problem

James D

Lurker
Jan 7, 2015
Whenever I type hyphenated words, eg "all-knowing", "re-elect" and "Ann-Marie", my keyboard automatically corrects it to "all - knowing", "re - elect" and "Ann - Marie" (with spaces both sides of the hyphen). It's quite tedious having to go back each time to change it back; does anyone know how to fix this?

I've a bit of a weakness for a compound adjective and this comes up a lot.

Thanks in advance for help (or even just reading!)

(I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note III Neo. Not sure which android update I'm working on but I've had this issue since I got the phone 4 months ago.)

As everyone else has said, SwiftKey is the way to go. It is superior to Google's keyboard in every way. It's dictionary and predictive text options (doesn't automatically correct) are good out of the box and get better and better the longer you use the keyboard. I've been using SwiftKey for about two months and I can compose relatively basic texts or texts I send frequently just hitting the first letter of each word and then tapping on it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones