Android keyboard is frustrating!!!

Last Updated:

1. cioraneanu

cioraneanu Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone. I have a HTC Desire. Brilliant phone but my major complaint is the keyboard. I just can't help touching the "." key most of the times i try to go for the space key.

I just don't get why they made such a huge mistake with the keyboard... If i want to use "." i can easilly double tap space. It would had been perfect if they got rid of the dot key and made the space longer.

Do you know of any ways to get around this problem? :(

Advertisement
  2. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Have you tried slide style keyboards? Swiftkey is a very good alternative too

3. markeas

markeas Active Member

Im using smart keyboard. after my transision from iphone to the desire I too had trouble with the '.' and spacebar. with this app I never misss, worth a look

4. JP-100

JP-100 Member

Use landscape, space bar is bigger so you can make sure you miss".". If you position your hand right can you easily get all the keys. Have you run the keyboard configurator? Maybe its slightly out?

5. cioraneanu

Using slide keyboards isn't a solution as they don't have a dictionary for my language (romanian). I was looking for a solution to help me keep typing fast instead of being careful and concentrating on hitting space right. Or at least if they put the "." next to"," and move the space a little more to the right. That would had been better for my taste...

6. furious duck

furious duck Well-Known Member

The space bar is 3 times the size of the other keys! Personally I've never had the problem you're talking about but I guess if you're used to another keyboard then any change is going to take some getting used to. I've tried other keyboards on the desire just out of curiosity but always go back to the default one because I think it just works.

7. delinear

delinear Well-Known Member

It's probably not the answer he's looking for but I think you're right, a little perseverence and the brain quickly picks up the new pattern and soon he'll be back up to speed.

I should know, having never used a touch screen for typing before I'm already much faster and more accurate now than I was just over a week ago (when I absolutely hated the experience). I'm still nowhere near as fast as I was with a real phone keypad, but I suspect over time it'll come.

8. cioraneanu

Lol... Yeah not the response i was looking for... Of course you can get used to anything but that's not a solution, it's rather a compromise...

9. croyde

croyde Well-Known Member

Was using my iPod Touch this morning and that keyboard is a lot easier to use than the Desire's.

10. ifb-online

ifb-online Well-Known Member

Nah, it's a familiarity thing. I'm not used to the iPod keyboard and have no problems with the Desire's. On the iPod I can't understand why the case isn't shown on the keys, for example.

Running through the calibration routine works wonders too.

Ian

11. FelixofMars

FelixofMars Well-Known Member

Never really have a problem, the first few days I was slow and often got the wrong key. Recalibration does help, as does learning it. That say I never really used the I-Phone keyboard so maybe it has some magical properties.

12. DaddyCee

DaddyCee Well-Known Member

I hear that Thick Buttons is pretty good and it can be found on the Marketplace.

13. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

I use both.
    The iPhone's keyboard is far superior in my experience. Gaps between the keys help. I'm still not as fast on the desire keyboard.

Maybe it's just horses for courses.

14. trick202

Thanks for the tip. Just downloaded the pro version and it's brilliant!

15. furious duck

furious duck Well-Known Member

Have you tried it? Personally I thought it was terrible. I could never get used to the moving buttons...I know what button I want to press and where it is thank you very much! ;)

16. trick202

Me too. I couldn't get along with thick buttons at all.

17. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Guys, seriously try swype/shapewriter, i can beat all of you typing with it if you just use a tap keyboard.

18. DaddyCee

DaddyCee Well-Known Member

I do find that it helps if just typing with my right index finger, on the portrait screen. I have only just started using it after Kate Russell (BBC Click) mentioned it. I may get bored and may look for something else in a shortwhile. lol.

19. cioraneanu

Smart keyboard is great. Much better with all the space between letters. Seems to interfere with the multi touch ability tho.... have to switch to normal keyboard when not typing...lol Otherwise a good solution