• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Manual Backup

0blivion91

Lurker
Jul 16, 2012
Tmobile LG lgp999 [FONT=&quot][/FONT]G2X[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Yesterday I had attempted to manually update my handset to the latest and greatest. Unfortunately nothing ever goes to plan when it comes to these phones. This was my second attempt at using the LG Mobile Support Tool to update my phone. (just a side note: I followed the preparation/steps listed on LG's site to the letter) On the first attempt I never made it past the analysis. That was several months ago. The second attempt as of yesterday got me all the way to the update step. At that point it remained at 5% progress for a good 2 hours before I got on the phone with LG customer support. They were most unhelpful and redirected me to tmobile. Tmobile had me try the factory reset etc.. Long story short, my phone's screen is stuck on the "S/W Update Please Wait..." screen. At the end of everything, Tmobile is sending me a new phone. Now I said all of this so that you are on the same page with me. Before the update, I used the app "MyBackup Pro". I backed up all my data and everything on my phone...or so I thought. I suppose I should have verified that the app actually backed things up. It did not work. Nevertheless, I also copied all the files on my internal memory, as well as the external SD, to my PC. So this all boils down to one question: Are the contacts and sms and all that good stuff salvageable since I have those files that were on the internal memory? I just want my contact info more than anything.
Any help would be appreciated..

If that's the case then I am quite relieved. The reason I thought mybackup pro did not backup my data is that I logged onto the reware website and it told me that no files existed. I thought that the application sends the data to this site. As for google, I never sync anything (I'm one of those paranoid souls...). Let's just say hypothetically that mybackup did not work. Are the files on my pc from the internal memory of any use?
Thank you for the info

Upvote 0
MyBackup only does online backups if you choose that option. Otherwise, they are saved on the phone.

You really should get over your paranoia and save your contacts to your Google account. Nobody's interested in your info unless you're a spy, politician, filthy rich or a celebrity. And if you are they'll get your info anyway.

The saved files should be of some use - photos, music etc - and that 'reware' folder.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones