• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Market and Kindle Fire

Found out an interesting thing about Amazon apps market today. I had downloaded Adobe PDF reader from Amazon - I deleted the Amazon market app from the Coby, and Adobe reader would NOT work without the Amazon Connection.
Since I managed the regular Android Market on the Coby, I replace with Beam reader which I bought for the phone.
Amazon can get lost if it's pulling this crap.

Upvote 0
Unless they pull an AT&T and don't allow sideloading, which they probably will, IMO.

I would not disagree with you on that. It's certainly in their best interest to do that.

Found out an interesting thing about Amazon apps market today. I had downloaded Adobe PDF reader from Amazon - I deleted the Amazon market app from the Coby, and Adobe reader would NOT work without the Amazon Connection.
Since I managed the regular Android Market on the Coby, I replace with Beam reader which I bought for the phone.

Amazon has been doing this since their App store came out. Some (but not all) of the stuff you get from the Amazon market is DRM'd.

Upvote 0

Just uninstall the one from Amazon market and install the one from Android Market.

And this is why I never truly feared market fragmentation. Amazon wants to make an Apple-esque walled garden? That's fine. How often do those apps get updated in comparison to the Andriod Market? Hardly ever. The Android Market is far from perfect, but it's better than most of the alternatives. Except for AppBrain, which (IIRC) is more or less an Android Market extension that does better app list backups and searching.

Upvote 0
Just uninstall the one from Amazon market and install the one from Android Market.

And this is why I never truly feared market fragmentation. Amazon wants to make an Apple-esque walled garden? That's fine. How often do those apps get updated in comparison to the Andriod Market? Hardly ever. The Android Market is far from perfect, but it's better than most of the alternatives. Except for AppBrain, which (IIRC) is more or less an Android Market extension that does better app list backups and searching.

To be completely fair to Amazon, those apps don't get updated because the devs don't submit the updates. Every single story I've read about apps not getting updated has come to that conclusion. Devs just don't update their apps on Amazon for whatever reason. Still a drawback of using Amazon for sure, but not necessarily Amazon's fault.

Upvote 0
To be completely fair to Amazon, those apps don't get updated because the devs don't submit the updates. Every single story I've read about apps not getting updated has come to that conclusion. Devs just don't update their apps on Amazon for whatever reason. Still a drawback of using Amazon for sure, but not necessarily Amazon's fault.

If the article I read on the Amazon review process was accurate, it is Amazon's fault. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I saw it, but Amazon can sit on an app in the review process from 2-3 months. Meanwhile the app has been updated 3-4 times. If Amazon wanted to streamline the process, they would need to make it so apps could be pushed through the review process faster.

And if Amazon didn't like one part of the app, they'd reject it. So, in order to get the app on Amazon, the author would need to make a special Amazon version. Which makes it so they have to make their market version comply with the Amazon version or maintain two different versions of the app. Amazon can also change the price of the app as they choose and not consult the author(s). And I'm sure they take a pretty sizable chunk out of the sale, too. That's got to hurt devs and make it so they don't want to use the service.

Upvote 0
I'm not familiar with the review process so I can't speak to that.

"Amazon pays developers 70% of the sale price of the app or 20% of the list price, whichever is greater." That's from the Developer home page. I think that's fairly standard across the board, but I don't know that for sure.

I have no doubt that Amazon's process has room for improvement, but that's true about any store I think.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones