1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Android Messaging Apps

Last Updated:

1. todonnell9

todonnell9 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,
    I just ordered the Droid 2 and will be getting it tomorrow. This is my first Android phone and i was looking for some help. Does anyone know any apps i should get for messaging to start off? and to be more specific, I like the whole T-9 word use, and was wondering if anyone knew a way i could get that on my Droid 2. Any other apps you think I should get throw those in there too.

Thanks!:)

Advertisement
  2. scottb

scottb Member

I use Chomp SMS. Handcent is also pretty good.

3. edogg534

edogg534 Member

I use chomp also... i think it's much better than handcent.

4. jamesmckeephx

jamesmckeephx Well-Known Member

i use the stock on my evo and sure the droid one as just as good. I have had problems with both chomp and handcent just foreclosing at random or being lagy. but just my opinion haha

5. kopkiwi

kopkiwi Well-Known Member

I use chomp. I do find it a little laggy, but I like it nonetheless.

6. liquidmonkey

liquidmonkey Well-Known Member

handcent rocks.
    have not tried chomp, maybe i should?

7. frankbonatelli

frankbonatelli Well-Known Member

Ive been using Handcent since I first left my iPhone on the side of the road! Its a well developed application that integrates nicely into the OS. ChompSMS is nice as well but I didn't find anything in it that Handcent hadn't already done so stayed with Handcent. Either one has great options and additions and they both seem to offer similar extras, so I guess its really down to your taste. Try them both and ditch the one that doesn't work best for you.

8. diS

diS Well-Known Member

ChompSMS is what I use most
    Handcent is pretty good to.
    But they are quite the same.
    Just a bit of preference....

9. ericedge

ericedge Member

I've been looking for a reliable messaging app since I got my incredible, but I always stuck with the stock sms. The reason being is one HUGE glitch scared me away from handcent...the glitch where it would randomly send a text message to the wrong person from your contact list and pretty much pick a random contact to send the sms to. I can't really have that happen since I use my phone as my work phone and personal phone. It would be a VERY bad situation if a text message I was sending my girlfriend was randomly sent to someone from work or a customer.

I've seen people posting about this glitch earlier this year but I've never seen anyone confirm whether it not the glitch has been fixed or still exists? It's not something I want to risk. I guess my reason for posting this is I am very curious to find out if that glitch has been fixed.

I would LOVE to use handcent or chomp but I would like some confirmation as to whether or not that glitch is no more. Can anyone confirm this? Please? :p

10. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

I have not had this issue in over a month with Handcent. Originally it was caused by messages not being sent because of lack of coverage and when the phone was rebooted the message would be sent.

11. ericedge

ericedge Member

was there any confirmation that it was fixed in an update? Like I said I think handcent and chomp look amazing. I would love to try them both out but being at risk for such a serious glitch...is just not an option. That's why I was sticking w/ the stock sms...even though handcent is very tempting. I even checked their update notes on their website and I've got to say...they don't go into detail at all about what they fix and don't fix. :(

12. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

I would not know as I do not really read all notes on updates.

13. dboy

dboy New Member

need help please!

Hey guys,

I have a HTC desire and my problem is that it won't let me delete my message threads! Everytime I try my screen goes white and stays like It for a while, even when I force stop, I've also tried clearing the data through the settings, it says it clears but then it comes back, and I'm not spending time deleting one at a time, now have over 3000 messages, any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I also have the handcent but it still don't let me delete message threads, helllp is in need
    Thanks.