Android noob, with a possibly bricked phone =l

Last Updated:

1. radxcoresteven

radxcoresteven Active Member This Topic's Starter

This is my first post, and i have not introduced myself.
    I have owned a blackberry curve for a while, and i felt daring as my contract ended so i upgraded to an HTC Hero. I love this phone more than anything.
    Recently, i tried installing a rom, I believe it was one of JAC's roms, and i was told to update the Radio. I was in the middle of updating the radio and the phone said it was complete, so i hit reboot. Instead of hitting reboot with the trackball as one of the option, i hit home and back, and the unboxing screen came up and i figured that was okay. i came back twenty minutes later, tried turning on my phone, and to no avail. I'm horrified :eek: I really hope it is not bricked, its only been 29 days..
    I took the battery out, plugged in the charger, and then the battery and the amber led is on, so there is some progress!
    I also tried hard resetting (home and back, followed by end key) and the amber led turns off, then turns on soon.
    Any ideas, if not, that is fine.

Advertisement
  2. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

what's the link to the ROM?

I hope you didn't try to load a GSM ROM

3. radxcoresteven

Disregard the PM..
    Anyway, i attempted to the flash JACHEROSki v2.0, but before i even thought about doing that, i flashed the radio v. 2.22.19 and an spl.
    and I am fairly sure it is a CDMA rom.

4. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

5. radxcoresteven

The website from where I downloaded it from is Index of /justanotherdev
    JACHEROSki 2.0..
    I guess I assumed it was a hero rom considering it said hero..

6. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

Not sure. I didn't research that ROM, but it is in the MyTouch Forum.

7. radxcoresteven

Oh such a failure on my part.
    Any ideas on a fix? If not, that is fine for I intend on going to my local sprint store down the street..

8. Visionikz03

Visionikz03 Well-Known Member

well if u tried to flash a "MyTouch" rom which is a gsm rom then yes u prolly bricked ur phone and i wouldn't expect sprint to do anything but chuckle and say "sorry but u voided ur warranty" flashing unauthorized software onto ur phone. U will most likely have to buy a new one. Insurance won't cover it either as this was intentionally misused. Sorry bro but next time check check and check again to make sure what u r flashing is for CDMA Hero. Yes as u have discovered there r Heros for GSM as well which have completely different radios and methods of upgrading software.

9. tatonka_Hero

if you take it to sprint/htc, say you have no idea what the hell happened, it just stopped working. Do NOT mention rooting, or adding a custom ROM. If you're extremely lucky, you'll get it covered under insurance or warranty

10. chfields

chfields Well-Known Member

If you do that, make sure to remove anything from the sd card that has to do with the ROM or rooting.....

11. jersey221

jersey221 Well-Known Member

you may have thought it was a cdma rom because it said hero but there is also a gsm one and that is what you probably flashed a gsm hero rom

12. radxcoresteven

Thanks for the answers guys. Appreciate the help..I really hope the playing dumb idea works..it worked when I bricked my blackberry..let's hope, i'll update tomorrow, and tomorrow is my last day of my thirty day warranty :)

edit: I can't remove anything off the sd as ruu won't detect it because my pc won't either :(

13. tatonka_Hero

Take the card out, and put it in your computer (you'll probably need an adapter, microSD to standard SD), or a card reader

14. Visionikz03

Visionikz03 Well-Known Member

u don't have an micro sd adapter or usb card reader? Yeah like they said IF ur lucky and they buy ur "i don't know wat happened to it" plea then yes to cover all ur bases remove any obvious trace of rooting/romming from the sd card. With the phone not even being able to be hard reset or anything they r prolly gonna suspect somethin fishy as this is the number one way to brick ur phone and they know that so dont' give them any clues.

15. radxcoresteven

I do have a micro sd to standard, I would try that, but being the massive boob that I am, how do I take the sd card out?

16. jersey221

to take it out of your phone pop the back cover off your phone then right side i think it should say microsd and its right there push the card down and it will pop out..

if thats not what your asking sorry for misunderstanding your post

17. radxcoresteven

Thats exactly what I was asking! Thank you very much. What do you think sprint would say if I just removed the sd entirely..? I've been there numerous times, and they don't seem technologically educated, they just folllow manuals..

18. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

just don't take the card, it's that easy, take it out and leave it out. then when you go to take it in, tell them you were updating the profile or something and then the screen went black, froze up, you tried to restart and then it is where it is now... make it sound semi complicated but that you have not a damn clue what any of it means... you'll get what you want that way... and if you've already bricked a phone in the past, you gotta start taking more care of things, the hero is fairly hard to brick, so you gotta start being careful

19. radxcoresteven

Thanks, that's what I am going to do. I appreciate the help and ideas. I will reply tomorrow after classes.

20. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

21. jersey221

take it with you if it came with the phone but wipe the rooting stuff off of it

22. DFRESH

DFRESH Well-Known Member

have you tried sand on the phone? it might unbrick it...

23. Sirchuk

Sirchuk Active Member

I guess I'm out of the norm here, but if you messed it up I think you've got to own up to it. It's fraud otherwise.

If you aren't prepared to pay for the consequences by rooting and messing with a phone then you shouldn't be doing it.

But you've done it in the past (bricked and gotten the phone replaced) so I'm sure I'm falling on deaf ears.

Anyone else feel like it's unethical to feign ignorance and have Sprint or HTC pay for the damages?

awrnsmn, BigRedGonzo, gbhil and 2 others like this.
  24. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

I agree completely!

25. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

Me too.