• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android OS draining battery at 92%!

WildVet

Lurker
Feb 15, 2015
Hi, I have an ATT Galaxy S5, and late this week I updated to 4.4.4. Yesterday I noticed my battery draining really fast, so I checked the battery and it says Android OS was using 92%. Even when in Ultra per savings mode the battery is not lasting long. I tried restarting. What should I do? How can I tell what exactly is eating up the battery?

After every major Android update, operating system caches tend to get tangled leading to a number of known bad behaviors and battery eating is one of them.

Trying to chase down the problem with monitors is an exercise in futility because the OS is unstable and you may not get the truth. I've seen people not believe me and waste days thinking that they've solved the problem only to discover that they have to keep it up and play whack a mole.

This guide will walk you through the steps you really want to try. It says it's written for Lollipop, and that's because @ironass updates it per phone and update but the steps are the same for you.

http://androidforums.com/threads/s5-lollipop-update-problems-dummies-guide.892800/#post-6840098

Read the first two posts before proceeding.

I recommend that you go right to clearing the main cache in post #1 - and if that fails to fix it, go to post #2 and backup, factory data reset, and restore your backup.

Also, if you're using the wifi smart switch feature from Samsung, turn it off.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the forums!

Reactions: ironass and KOLIO
Upvote 0
After every major Android update, operating system caches tend to get tangled leading to a number of known bad behaviors and battery eating is one of them.

Trying to chase down the problem with monitors is an exercise in futility because the OS is unstable and you may not get the truth. I've seen people not believe me and waste days thinking that they've solved the problem only to discover that they have to keep it up and play whack a mole.

This guide will walk you through the steps you really want to try. It says it's written for Lollipop, and that's because @ironass updates it per phone and update but the steps are the same for you.

http://androidforums.com/threads/s5-lollipop-update-problems-dummies-guide.892800/#post-6840098

Read the first two posts before proceeding.

I recommend that you go right to clearing the main cache in post #1 - and if that fails to fix it, go to post #2 and backup, factory data reset, and restore your backup.

Also, if you're using the wifi smart switch feature from Samsung, turn it off.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the forums!
Clearing the cache fixed the issue, thanks!

Upvote 0
I've seen people not believe me and waste days thinking that they've solved the problem only to discover that they have to keep it up and play whack a mole.

Love that, "Whack-a-Mole", analogy. You just know that I'm going to use that in a future, "Dummies Guide". ;)

Clearing the cache fixed the issue, thanks!

Clearing the cache partition, particularly in the switchover from Dalvik to ART, is always a good idea after any firmware update... even if you do not appear to have problems.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones