• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android-to-android Wifi connection

thetonestarr

Lurker
Oct 24, 2009
I'm trying to find a way to have two devices (specifically, my Droid 3 phone and Asus Eee Pad Transformer) communicate directly with each other, possibly for filesharing, etc. Not like tethering for sharing my Internet connection, but just for communicating back and forth.

Are there apps out there for this? Can a tethering app do it? Just got my tablet and I'm trying to get all I can from it.

Android, without some very specific mods, does not support ad hoc networks. Which is what you're looking for. And those mods are unit specific, so there's no telling if your devices have the mods necessary for an ad hoc network. There are are a few alternatives. Various file manager apps (ES File Explorer and I think Astro) can do a LAN file transfer. So you would need to connect each device to a wireless router and they could share files through the router.

Reactions: Saltine713
Upvote 0
I think Bump, by Bump Technologies will work well for you... I'm not sure what you are transferring but it is great for contacts, pictures, ringtones (which means music might transfer), and apps. Also you could just do a Bluetooth transfer as well. If you look at the share feature in the gallery your pictures can be transferred bluetooth from device to device.

https://market.android.com/details?...1bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5idW1wdGVjaC5idW1wZ2EiXQ..

I hope this helps!

- James

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones