• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android TV or WebOS?

Hello everyone!

I've been thinking about buying a smart tv for a while and I've already seen two models that I liked: LG OLED EVO and Philips LED 4K.

The problem is that LG works with WebOs and Philips with Android TV, so I would like to know which operating system is better for a Smart TV and why.

I have already been reading some page that explains the main differences, advantages and disadvantages of each model: (Link Removed) But I would like to delve deeper into it.

Does anyone know what the main difference is and which one suits me best? I just watch series and movies. Very occasionally I connect the PS4.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
A word of warning for the WebOS option. The 'apps' barely get updates and ultimately stop working.

I got a 2016 4K Cinema 3D LG TV in my master bedroom, but the only app that still works is Netflix. YouTube, Google Play Movies and TV, Hulu, and various others ceased support a when the TV was only 5 years old.

You'd be far better off getting a 'dumb' TV for far less, and plugging in an Android TV dongle or Fire TV stick since that will last far longer than any built-in OS.

Upvote 0
FWIW, we had an LG TV running WebOS and couldn't stand it. In fact, it was the most expensive TV we'd ever bought and we returned it after a week. We replaced it with a Sony Bravia running Android TV and, while it's not perfect, it's much better than WebOS.

If you want the flexibility of installing streaming services and other apps (like fireplaces and screen savers) from the Play Store, Android TV is the way to go. WebOS offerings are miserably limited.

My ONE issue with Android TV (and I doubt WebOS is any better) is that modern versions replaced the Miracast feature with Chromecast - which only works with certain apps. I can't use wireless DeX from my Samsung phone because the TV doesn't show up as an available display. That, however, is one of the few issues I have with the TV.

Upvote 0
Philips 43PUS8506
A word of warning for the WebOS option. The 'apps' barely get updates and ultimately stop working.

I got a 2016 4K Cinema 3D LG TV in my master bedroom, but the only app that still works is Netflix. YouTube, Google Play Movies and TV, Hulu, and various others ceased support a when the TV was only 5 years old.

You'd be far better off getting a 'dumb' TV for far less, and plugging in an Android TV dongle or Fire TV stick since that will last far longer than any built-in OS.
I find very interesting what you said about Fire TV. I need a new TV because the one I have is falling apart, but I'm going to investigate further that option.

Reactions: lacopper
Upvote 0
FWIW, we had an LG TV running WebOS and couldn't stand it. In fact, it was the most expensive TV we'd ever bought and we returned it after a week. We replaced it with a Sony Bravia running Android TV and, while it's not perfect, it's much better than WebOS.

If you want the flexibility of installing streaming services and other apps (like fireplaces and screen savers) from the Play Store, Android TV is the way to go. WebOS offerings are miserably limited.

My ONE issue with Android TV (and I doubt WebOS is any better) is that modern versions replaced the Miracast feature with Chromecast - which only works with certain apps. I can't use wireless DeX from my Samsung phone because the TV doesn't show up as an available display. That, however, is one of the few issues I have with the TV.
Your comment has been very enlightening. I had already read in other forums that LG smart TVs give a lot of headaches, so I think I'm going to rule it out.

There are almost no Sony models available here in Spain. But I just saw one from Philips that I loved. It is the Philips 43PUS8506: https://www.compralobueno.com/electronica/smart-tv/#Philips-LED-4K What do you think? It comes with Android TV and has nice specs (except for the 60Hz refresh rate).

On the other hand, we don't use Chromecast or DeX at home, so it's not a must-have feature.

Thanks!

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
Pretty interesting specifications, and good scores considering it only has a 60Hz refresh rate. I suppose if you won't be trying to watch any content with a great deal of motion, you will be alright. I can tell you that moving from a phone with 60Hz displays to an adaptable rate up to 120 Hz was incredible. If you have never had a TV with a higher refresh rate than 60Hz, though, you won't be missing anything.

Upvote 0
ONLY 60Hz?

Wait, they make TVs with more than 60Hz? I can't see any benefit though unless you're playing 4K games via a PC connected to it. Heck, 60 fps is great for gaming anyway.

BTW, you can buy Android TV sticks for about $29 at Walmart under their ONN brand, and couple that with a cheap 'dumb' TV you'll get the same result as buying one with Android TV built in for far less, and it won't be affected by 'lack of updates'. You can just buy a new stick and keep the TV instead of replacing the entire TV whenever it stops getting support. Far easier to pay $29 every ten years (well, that's the lifecycle I go for!) than $299+ every 5.

Upvote 0
That's a good option too. I'm pretty sure our Bravia has a 120 Hz refresh rate. It's 75" and we sit across the den (horrible room layout but it's the only room we can use for the TV) and, for measurement purposes, the screen is WAY too small for that distance. Our next TV will likely be an ultra-short throw 4K laser projector and a 15-foot screen. Problem is that the offerings out there aren't Android TV and the apps are very limited. That stick may well be the solution!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones