• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android VNC Server

If I had to guess, it's because typing with a keyboard is easier than on the phone.

Or my second place guess would be, because it's less obvious that you are playing on your phone during work, if it's a window hidden on your computer when the boss walks up.

Edited to Add: Third guess, it's easier to work on the spouse's phone when you can VNC into it, than it is to try to tell them what to do, and ask them what they are seeing.

Upvote 0
On iPhone I had a very nice one. I used it to document screen shots. Typing was much more convenient. When I set up a wireless tether, it was much easier to run the network connection from the computer than from the phone.
I found Android VNC requiring root, and
Droid VNC which didn't work on my Samsung Vibrant.
I think I'll have to root my phone.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I noticed that these VNC servers only work on rooted Android devices. Can anyone explain why? I don't think I'm comfortable with rooting yet.

It's for the mouse and keyboard emulation. Also I don't think Android (yet) has a native API for taking screenshots (which VNC needs to do to send back to the client) so it will need some low level root access for these.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones