Android VNC ServerGeneral

1. AlanJames1987

AlanJames1987 Member

Does anyone know of a VNC server for Android? Not a client like Remote VNC, a server.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

May I beg the question, why do you want to access the phone remotely?
  3. byteware

byteware Well-Known Member

If I had to guess, it's because typing with a keyboard is easier than on the phone.

Or my second place guess would be, because it's less obvious that you are playing on your phone during work, if it's a window hidden on your computer when the boss walks up.

Edited to Add: Third guess, it's easier to work on the spouse's phone when you can VNC into it, than it is to try to tell them what to do, and ask them what they are seeing.
  4. Tooleman694

Tooleman694 Well-Known Member

iv thought about this too..

It would be neat to do, but I cant think of any reason why id want to..
  5. AlanJames1987

AlanJames1987 Member

Absolutely the reason. Typing on the touchscreen is easy enough but its slow.
  6. Demache

Fair enough. I'm not sure an app like this exist yet though.
  7. stuckpig

stuckpig Well-Known Member

8. AlanJames1987

AlanJames1987 Member

Although that looks very promising I don't have a rooted phone, and thus can't use my keyboard to control my device.
  9. meatwad

meatwad Active Member

Try Wifi keyboard. I used to have it. It should be just what your looking for.
  10. AlanJames1987

AlanJames1987 Member

Again, Wifi Keyboard is a very cool application but I have found that it takes longer to use it than just typing normally. Is there a synergy client that can be used? iOS has one, do we really want Apple to win this war?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmQp9fGca8g
  11. jimknock

jimknock New Member

On iPhone I had a very nice one. I used it to document screen shots. Typing was much more convenient. When I set up a wireless tether, it was much easier to run the network connection from the computer than from the phone.
    I found Android VNC requiring root, and
    Droid VNC which didn't work on my Samsung Vibrant.
    I think I'll have to root my phone.
  12. MrChips

MrChips Active Member

Install the Android SDK, connect the phone to the computer via USB and open a shell from the computer using "adb shell"
  13. Cognoscenti

Cognoscenti Member

I need something like this as well and cant get android sdk to work at all.

Veency on jailbroken iphone was so easy.

Cpuld control everything on the whole iphone as if you were holding it.

I thought Android was meant to be more open and easy to do things???
  14. Demache

15. Charlie1

Charlie1 Member

I missed this thread last summer. I'm glad it got bumped. Now I've got something new to play with.
  16. toronado455

toronado455 Well-Known Member

Do any of these Android VNC servers let you remotely control an Android device via the internet from a Windows PC?
  17. Graham

Graham Well-Known Member

Yes, windows supports a number of VNC clients. TightVNC is probably the best open source one at this time but there is RealVNC, UltraVNC, etc.
  18. toronado455

toronado455 Well-Known Member

I noticed that these VNC servers only work on rooted Android devices. Can anyone explain why? I don't think I'm comfortable with rooting yet.
  19. Graham

Graham Well-Known Member

It's for the mouse and keyboard emulation. Also I don't think Android (yet) has a native API for taking screenshots (which VNC needs to do to send back to the client) so it will need some low level root access for these.
  20. PC Bigboy

PC Bigboy Well-Known Member

I have to agree but so is navigating the phone & getting things to respond to my touch (And keep other things FROM responding when I don't want them to)

This doesn't happen so easily with a mouse :)

Cheers :D

Pat
  21. PC Bigboy

PC Bigboy Well-Known Member

The best one I've seen BY FAR is Gbridge

Problem is there's no app for it though (I know because I checked on the market) :(

Cheers :D

Pat
  22. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

If you just want to do limited stuff swiftp is an ftp server. Maybe there's an ssh server too.
  23. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

24. huisinro

huisinro New Member