• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android vs Iphone security

I just curious as to why I keep seeing headlines about androids doomed for viruses, but I don't ever see headlines on the iphone. Is it because of the open market? You would think with the number of iphone users out there that they would be a prime candidate for malware. I not a super techy guy, I use a htc incedible S and love it, but if android goes the way of the PC, I cant see myself being a return customer.

I believe it is mostly the open market.

In exchange for an increased risk of malware we get more free apps (because developers don’t have to pay for testing), more apps for special tasks (things apple would say aren’t worth there time), and the right to run any apps we write ourselves because we have unique needs.

Upvote 0
The so called "outbreak " of malware was promptly followed by slew of "Antivirus " solutions in the Market .I wonder if there is any connection ...

Part of the problem lies ,we use exploits to root our phones . A security exploit is a security exploit . (rageagainstcage any one :) )

Is malware present ?
Yes .

Is there a probability of malware outbreak ?
The same probability world will end in 2012 .

Can malware be avoided ?
Yes ,Constant vigilance is the key

Is iOS super safe unbreakable phone OS ?
No, but the percentage of malware reported is much lower

If we follow the same rules as that of PC i.e Safe searching ,Avoiding pirated apps/warez ,keep an eye on app permissions before installing apps ,then the malware wont even make a difference .
http://androidforums.com/android-ap...explained-security-tips-avoiding-malware.html

Upvote 0
No OS has an advantage over the other when it comes to security. Many of the malware stories aim at Android are proven wrong or misinterpreted.Google has done a good job when rogue apps has know to plague the market. It is up to you as an owner of any device to be aware of what you are doing with your devices.

Upvote 0
FWIW: Android mobile users facing increased security risks, security provider warns

My personal feeling is that Apple is more secure; hardware and software are designed and controlled by Apple to work seamlessly together. On the other hand, Android is open. There are around 300 different models of phones listed on this forum. Even if two models have the same Android OS version, they may or may not have the same features. Each manufacturer puts in their own tweaks to try and differentiate their phone from their competitors. Because of these tweaks, even when the Android OS is updated in the open community, the phone manufacturer has to do a lot of work to make the update work on their phone, if at all. My phone is an LG Shine Plus which shipped with 2.1. In November, LG came out with a 2.3.3 update for this model. It has failed miserably, causing many problems (go to the phone forum and see for yourself); LG has since pulled the update from its support. Based upon this, I am afraid there is a greater chance that security may be compromised with Android.

Upvote 0
I just curious as to why I keep seeing headlines about androids doomed for viruses, but I don't ever see headlines on the iphone. Is it because of the open market? You would think with the number of iphone users out there that they would be a prime candidate for malware. I not a super techy guy, I use a htc incedible S and love it, but if android goes the way of the PC, I cant see myself being a return customer.

If I may propose a conspiracy theory for a moment, it may be because Android owners are much more likely to believe the malware attacks are imminent and thus more likely to either use ad supported antivirus apps or buy paid versions of the same.

Most malware anymore infects devices though social engineering by tricking the user into granting permission. No antivirus will stop that on any OS.

Upvote 0
FWIW: Android mobile users facing increased security risks, security provider warns

My personal feeling is that Apple is more secure; hardware and software are designed and controlled by Apple to work seamlessly together. On the other hand, Android is open. There are around 300 different models of phones listed on this forum. Even if two models have the same Android OS version, they may or may not have the same features. Each manufacturer puts in their own tweaks to try and differentiate their phone from their competitors. Because of these tweaks, even when the Android OS is updated in the open community, the phone manufacturer has to do a lot of work to make the update work on their phone, if at all. My phone is an LG Shine Plus which shipped with 2.1. In November, LG came out with a 2.3.3 update for this model. It has failed miserably, causing many problems (go to the phone forum and see for yourself); LG has since pulled the update from its support. Based upon this, I am afraid there is a greater chance that security may be compromised with Android.

Interesting article. However...

The initial infection occurs when an unwary mobile owner receives what appears to be a text from an familiar person or business that includes a link to a website.

So, if you never open links from people you don't know, you're safe from the brand of hackers that link talked about. The fact that it is a link that targets Android is irrelevant. I'm sure if they coded it, it would attack jailbroken iPhones just as easily.

Every single Android malware article I've ever read (that actually goes into the details on how these malware attacks actually work) have had something similar. The initial infection mechanic is almost always opening some text link, QR code, or some rogue app on the market (or from a torrent/warez site). If you do your homework, stick to app developers that have a reputable name, and don't click links from people you don't know or links that look suspicious, your Android device stands a pretty good chance of never getting malware.

Upvote 0
Having greater diversity of models does not make your platform more insecure.

Can you say that with any certainty? One OS which needs to be adapted to over 300 phones? I can't trust LG to update the OS without losing wifi, bluetooth, voice recognition or bricking the phone. Can I trust LG (or any manufacturer) to maintain the security in the OS?

Upvote 0
A recent news event highlights Apple's attitude towards security - an app developer found a serious security issue with the iPhone / app store, notified Apple. What did Apple do? They closed his account and banned him.

That's the thanks given to someone who figures out a security issue and lets Apple know.

Microsoft actually gives money to researchers who find security problems in Windows and rewards them for doing so. Stark contrast in approaches.

Upvote 0
thanks guys for the info and quick response. it definitely makes me feel more comfortable with the android os. I personally don't download a ton of apps; the ones I do download usually are from the top paid with 4-5 stars and a ton of viewer responses on them. I get my free upgrade through Bell in a year and I can't wait to see what will be the hottest phone then. I didn't do much research when I got my incredible S, I find its an ok phone, I'm not to stoked about most likely not getting the ics update. If I can't hopefully xda will have all the bugs worked out in their rom soon.

Upvote 0
Can you say that with any certainty? One OS which needs to be adapted to over 300 phones? I can't trust LG to update the OS without losing wifi, bluetooth, voice recognition or bricking the phone. Can I trust LG (or any manufacturer) to maintain the security in the OS?

Having an open source operating system like Android you have millions of eyes on on the source code looking for and fixing security holes as opposed to a few thousand (or tens of thousands, not sure) for a proprietary operating system. While widespread adoption of an OS may invite attempts to infiltrate, it does not necessarily mean success. Linux is highly secure because the dev community has patched holes faster as there are more folks familiar with, and contributing to fixing security threats.

Just my thoughts...

Upvote 0
Having an open source operating system like Android you have millions of eyes on on the source code looking for and fixing security holes as opposed to a few thousand (or tens of thousands, not sure) for a proprietary operating system. While widespread adoption of an OS may invite attempts to infiltrate, it does not necessarily mean success. Linux is highly secure because the dev community has patched holes faster as there are more folks familiar with, and contributing to fixing security threats.

Just my thoughts...

I agree open source means more eyes spotting security holes and fixing them. But the trouble for mobile phones is, you can't just download or install an update from google (unless you have google phone) like you do in desktop. You have to wait many months for the manufacturer/carrier to release the update before you get any of those security fixes. And that's only if your model is deemed worthy for an upgrade. So if you have an older phone with say Eclair and they're not going to update it to gingerbread, then you're kinda stuck with whatever security holes that is present in Eclair.

Upvote 0
Found this article some time ago
Google guru blasts Android virus doomsayers as 'charlatans' ? The Register

I have used Linux for a long time and I can say viruses and malware are nothing to worry about. Never caught one, never even been close to caught one that ruined my computer.I believe that the tips given here are all you need to keep you safe and secure, as the most important thing when using online services or apps is to be aware of where you click.

Reactions: Stuntman
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones