• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android with no data plan

BortX

Lurker
Jan 1, 2010
My wife has been using a DELL Axim 51v PDA for many years now and it finally broke down. She is looking for a PDA replacement. To my surprise nobody sells them anymore. So I am looking for an Android mobile phone as a replacement. She already has a simple phone she likes so she would not be using this Android phone for making phone calls nor does she need or want a data plan. All she wants to do is use the calendar for scheduling, todo lists, contacts, and tasks -- nothing more. She wants to use Wifi to sync. Are any of the Android phones a good candidate for this and is this even possible? If not what else would be a good candidate? What about the Nexus One?

IMHO, this is a part of the market Android devices are missing. I too still have an Axim x51v and needed a replacement. All the hero devices are phones too. Went out and bought an iPod Touch which is sweet! (and I have an Android phone).

You might look at the Archos Android device. I didn't check it out.

Upvote 0
Yes it is possible, my friend Chris owns a G1 and uses it only over WiFi, with Google Voice for texting mainly

But yes you can but to get phone unlock with out a contract would cost loads of money around $500, if your willing to pay that much.

But your best bet would be eBay Thats how Chris got his G1 =\

Also a good phone i would recommend would be the G1 or myTouch.

Upvote 0
Yes it is possible, my friend Chris owns a G1 and uses it only over WiFi, with Google Voice for texting mainly

But yes you can but to get phone unlock with out a contract would cost loads of money around $500, if your willing to pay that much.

But your best bet would be eBay Thats how Chris got his G1 =\

Also a good phone i would recommend would be the G1 or myTouch.

$500 is not a lot. The data plan is the huge money drain that many choose to ignore. The new Google Nexus One comes unlocked. I guess it's not clear to me what features will work and what won't. I wan't NO data or phone plan (no plan of any kind). The way I figure everything should work with Wifi, right?

Upvote 0
How is the data plan a huge money drain?

Its an extra $30 for verizon, $30 x $24 = $720 dollars for two years.

Now, you get about a $300-400 discount when getting it within contract (unless you don't want the actual phone part, in which case grab a touch or some such device). You are paying an extra 320 or 420 for data ANYWHERE you go, which includes IM, Browser, and google maps.

Oh and Tethering using PDAnet.

Overall, if $500 isn't alot, I would go with the connection everywhere.

Just my .02c

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones