• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Androids for Soldiers (Skype)

*** Looking for minimal cost old smartphones to use Skype ***

My Brigade is about 2 months out from deployment. A few of us have droids (verizon Androids) and have confirmed that we can, without having any service plan, still use Skype over wifi to call a real phone number here in the US.

So, our plan is to stack up some Androids with Skype for MWR while overseas that won't cost our soldiers an arm and a leg to call home. We will have the capability for email too but sometimes a call is nice.

Anyway, I am looking for those who may have upgraded their phone to something better and would be willing to sell their old phones that have no service to me and the rest of the S6 (or individuals within the BDE) to use while overseas.

We know that the verzion sold droids will work with Skype but aside from what is listed on the www.Skype.com website we can't be sure about others.

Since we can still get to the market over wifi this too will be nice for MWR as the soldiers can use the phones for more than just skype. Not all of them can afford to buy a laptop and keep it with them but a few bucks for a phone might really be feasible. So, if you have a phone to sell let me know.

We are not looking to buy your absolutely brand new phone for $100+. I am just looking for something functional that can do Skype.

Thanks,

-lance

Lance-tek,

I believe most of the droid phones that will even run skype are going to be pretty expensive. Here is what I got from the skype website. The main requirement is having Android 2.1 or higher on the device. But what I've notice with some device that Skype likes to just shutdown when ur trying to login:

You can download Skype from the Android Market, or from skype.com/m on your phone. You’ll need Android OS 2.1 or later – check Settings > About if you’re not sure what version your phone is running.
Skype is not available in the Android Market in China or Japan.
Skype has been tested on HTC and Motorola devices with Android OS 2.1 and above. It may work on other Android phones, but we can’t guarantee full functionality or compatibility. We’re aware of some problems with the Samsung Galaxy S, and we’re looking to address these in the future.
It’s free to use Skype in a WiFi zone. If you use Skype with a mobile data connection, operator charges may apply, so we recommend an unlimited data plan.
In the US, you can make calls only over WiFi.
A fair use policy applies to unlimited subscriptions.

Upvote 0
I hate to be the one to rain on a parade...but I have to be...I`m "that" guy..

Unlike most older "smart" phones, Android based phones from the last year or so, such as Droid 1`s, Droid 2`s, Droid X`s and Droid Inredibles are still fetching a couple hundred shiney dollars on the resell market..and they arent dropping quickly since they can be rooted and overclocked fairly easily.

Your lower end Android devices also still carry a decent resell rate, such as the Droid Eris`s from HTC...even Verizon will give you $130+ for an Eris on their buy-back program.

In my opinion, coming from a Guard Unit with limited funds...you and your FRG would be better off spending the money on Netbooks. You`re gonna wind up spending about the same for decent Android based phones that are compatible with Skype anyway...might as well get a hard drive and at least a 10" screen that can play movies for the money...

I hate to Forum Drop...but in this case it needs to be done for fellow troops about to put "boots-on-ground"... If you havent been, log onto [H]ardForums and contact Kyle Bennett... explain what you are tying to do to him, and see if he can help you out on the For Sale/For Trade Forums...or maybe even do a donation drive...I dont know that it will do any good, but it cant hurt...

This is just all my opinion mind you...take it for what its worth...:)

Upvote 0
Unlike most older "smart" phones, Android based phones from the last year or so, such as Droid 1`s, Droid 2`s, Droid X`s and Droid Inredibles are still fetching a couple hundred shiney dollars on the resell market..and they arent dropping quickly since they can be rooted and overclocked fairly easily.

I think the idea here was a small bit of charity in support of these troops. FWIW, he didn't even really mention a price that they were looking to pay... Not saying you are "that guy", but yout might be giving up a hundred shiny dollars, they might be giving their life. I'd rather be on your end of the bargain my friend! :eek:

Upvote 0
I think the idea here was a small bit of charity in support of these troops. FWIW, he didn't even really mention a price that they were looking to pay... Not saying you are "that guy", but yout might be giving up a hundred shiny dollars, they might be giving their life. I'd rather be on your end of the bargain my friend! :eek:
Thanks...dont think I dont know what "they" are giving up...I myself sit and wait daily for my number to be called, and as of yet, it hasnt.

Having said that, I still stand by what I posted..charity is one thing, but in this day of tech costs, the likelihood of people donating high end smartphones is very small. If the FRG is willing to spend any money, I feel they would be better to spend it on Netbooks, not smartphones. This is not even taking into consideration at the number of MWR Internet Cafes on the larger bases in Iraq and Afghanistan...even a lot of the smaller FOB`s are set up fairly well.

Far too many of my friends and colleagues have made that trip over, and even more are headed back again this next year...believe me, I know exactly what this fellow is asking for...I just dont see him getting what he is after with the current prices of these devices...

Upvote 0
No worries here guys. I realized that Verizon is now back up to 132 for the Eris (I have two of these) and that makes things a little more difficult for me.

Basically, we are targetting anything that is handheld because of the simplicity of it. We can "check out" the devices to our soldiers so they can use them and then turn them back in but not be stuck sitting at a PC or on a payphone. Not all of the soldiers can afford to buy a computer and they are generally more expensive. We are trying to use phones because they are a little tough (how many times do people drop their phones and they don't break) and the ease of use.

I have been shopping Craigs List and eBay as well to find devices that will work. So far I have hit a lot of dead ends ("do you still have this for sale?" - "Sorry, it's sold") but I'm not giving up.

I am not looking for sympathy or charity, just thought I would put out a feeler. At the time I made the post I was under the impression VZW was only giving $40 for the Eris and a few bux more for the D1. I was targetting about $50 for devices initially but, I guess they got their prices back up now. Anyway, I have a few more weeks to "shop".

I appreciate all of the feedback though!

-lance

Upvote 0
Thanks...dont think I dont know what "they" are giving up...I myself sit and wait daily for my number to be called, and as of yet, it hasnt.

Having said that, I still stand by what I posted..charity is one thing, but in this day of tech costs, the likelihood of people donating high end smartphones is very small. If the FRG is willing to spend any money, I feel they would be better to spend it on Netbooks, not smartphones. This is not even taking into consideration at the number of MWR Internet Cafes on the larger bases in Iraq and Afghanistan...even a lot of the smaller FOB`s are set up fairly well.

Far too many of my friends and colleagues have made that trip over, and even more are headed back again this next year...believe me, I know exactly what this fellow is asking for...I just dont see him getting what he is after with the current prices of these devices...

Again, not donations (in the full sense of the terms) but price reduction. Say you have a d1. Someone MIGHT want to sell it to this guy (he is offering cash) for, let's say $75. He didn't say "I am looking for free phones that you could sell for a couple hundred bucks but am hoping you would rather just give them to me. Just saying... I think we are all, in these forums, fully aware of what this tech is worth today. I guess I simply didn't see a reason for you to point it out.

Upvote 0
At the time I made the post I was under the impression VZW was only giving $40 for the Eris and a few bux more for the D1. I was targetting about $50 for devices initially but, I guess they got their prices back up now. Anyway, I have a few more weeks to "shop".

-lance

Competing with prices only, you are going to compete with the grey market (ebay, craigslist) and not so much Verizon. They are never going to be giving the better deal for your old handset. Much like a car dealership! ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones