• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Andy Rubin explains why no LTE nexus 4

I can't say much about the Galaxy Nexus, but maybe Rubin should talk to the people at Samsung because I have no complaints with my LTE Galaxy S3.

This looks bad for Android- for years we bashed the iPhone, rightly so, because it didn't have LTE while we were all enjoying LTE. Android is supposed to have all the latest tech. And just when LTE is becoming the standard for flagship phones, the Nexus 4 doesn't have LTE? And Rubin is supporting this decision? C'mon...

If Rubin is reading this, I would be more than happy to loan him my S3 to reevaluate the user experience with LTE. For a Nexus 10... :D

PM me and let's make it happen.

Upvote 0
I can't say much about the Galaxy Nexus, but maybe Rubin should talk to the people at Samsung because I have no complaints with my LTE Galaxy S3.

This looks bad for Android- for years we bashed the iPhone, rightly so, because it didn't have LTE while we were all enjoying LTE. Android is supposed to have all the latest tech. And just when LTE is becoming the standard for flagship phones, the Nexus 4 doesn't have LTE? And Rubin is supporting this decision? C'mon...

If Rubin is reading this, I would be more than happy to loan him my S3 to reevaluate the user experience with LTE. For a Nexus 10... :D

That's mainly due to new Qualcomm S4 chip that has 3G, LTE modems on SoC unlike two modem chips setup on LTE Gnex. Back when Samsung was developing LTE Gnex, this new S4 chip was not available.

Still they could have paired S4 Pro in Nexus 4 with new Qualcomm 3G/4G SoC like iPhone5 or G Note2. I guess development cost and release timing was the main reason.

Upvote 0
It also only sells for $300 to $349 without a contact.
It's funny, because on other phones where they skimp on features to make it cheaper, we call it midrange.

Still, I like what googe is doing. That being said, my vanity won't let me get anything but flagship devices. Maybe one day I will lose my unlimited lte on Verizon and then be willing to settle for less at a lower price.

Upvote 0

You realize the S3 will still exist, right?

Upvote 0
It's funny, because on other phones where they skimp on features to make it cheaper, we call it midrange.

Still, I like what googe is doing. That being said, my vanity won't let me get anything but flagship devices. Maybe one day I will lose my unlimited lte on Verizon and then be willing to settle for less at a lower price.

I don't think the Nexus line was every designed to be cutting edge software. It was imho a why to promise a true version of the software without bloatware AND timely updates. The devices imho have always been mid range compared to subsidized phones. There may have been one or two shining stats but the phones themselves seemed to be on pair and not spec killers.

Upvote 0
It also only sells for $300 to $349 without a contact.

I was initially disappointed at the lack of LTE and 16GB storage.

But then I got to thinking that all I need my phone for is light web surfing, e-mail, and what was that other thing...oh, yeah...making phone calls. I don't do video streaming and certainly wouldn't use it for watching movies, I have an N7-32 for that. 16 gigs will hold all the music I would ever want to listen to plus a few big apps (native navigation for example like Navigon).

I currently have an iPhone 4S and have never really missed internet fire-hose speeds. I briefly had an S3 with LTE and, yes, web-surfing was little snappier with LTE but for what I do it wasn't really important.

Thinking some more I find myself attracted to the idea of not having a contract. Think about it, for just a little more money, I get to decide when I want a new phone. Bad customer service from one carrier? Just pop off to another one.

That did it for me (plus I like the pure, non-skinned, Android experience).

Upvote 0
I'm jumping back and fourth with the notion of getting the N4, however I just don't know if HSPA+ will do the trick for me and handle my daily load of data. Using the GS3 was a pleasure, using an iphone 5 is a pleasure as well with LTE on at&t. I just don't know if I can go backwards. I use my phones as a hotspot sometimes for my Nexus 7 and will do the same for my ipad mini, and the lack of LTE may prove to really be a step back for me.

I think it was foolish of Google to do what they did, I know expenses come into play, but I'd rather spend $449-$500 for a future proof phone with LTE on board then $349 for a phone that is basically last years technology.

My next option is really put Tmobile and they're HSPA+ network to the test and see how performance is on a daily basis. I will be playing with my friends GS3 on TMO for the next few days here and there and be testing various things that I use my phone for on a daily basis.

Upvote 0
I've never had LTE and only had 4g on my evo when I happened to drive to the one city in the state that has it for sprint. I have however used LTE from friends phones and I really don't see need for additional speed.

The only real case where LTE makes sense is, if you use a hotspot for your primary household internet connection, otherwise why does it matter?

The noticeable difference b/t 4g and LTE is negligible at best in most areas and when you factor in that this phone was built to cater to the unlocked, prepaid community, it doesn't make any sense to produce a CDMA version, especially when CDMA is a dying technology.

Remember, it wasn't the LTE networks that kept them from making verizon, sprint, etc. flavors of teh device, its the 3g CDMA networks that those companies run side by side with their LTE.

Upvote 0
Nexus5 will probably be an LTE phone. Just another reason for them to make you upgrade.

I see them partnering with at&t after the Holidays and bringing an LTE version to the masses. Honestly that would be such a kick in the nuts to VZW, I'd love for that to Happen.

And that works so much better because like the iphone 5 on at&t when your in an area without LTE the phone reverts to HSPA+...Best of both worlds!

I really wish Google could have done something like that from Jumpstreet.

Upvote 0
No LTE isn't a huge deal for everybody. I've been with Sprint for years, waiting for the promised improvements. It's time to jump ship. T-mobile's network is way ahead of Sprint's in my area. And with wifi at home and work, I don't think I'll miss not having LTE. I'd rather have timely updates and a MUCH lower wireless bill.

I will miss the kickstand, though. :p

Upvote 0
No LTE isn't a huge deal for everybody. I've been with Sprint for years, waiting for the promised improvements. It's time to jump ship. T-mobile's network is way ahead of Sprint's in my area. And with wifi at home and work, I don't think I'll miss not having LTE. I'd rather have timely updates and a MUCH lower wireless bill.

I will miss the kickstand, though. :p

If I was in your shoes I'd go with the N4, simply because you've never been spoiled by the insane speeds of LTE. Tmobile's HSPA+ will be a brave new world for you coming from Sprint.

However for those of us that have been spoiled by Verizon's and at&t's LTE speeds it is a very hard decision.

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
If I was in your shoes I'd go with the N4, simply because you've never been spoiled by the insane speeds of LTE. Tmobile's HSPA+ will be a brave new world for you coming from Sprint.

However for those of us that have been spoiled by Verizon's and at&t's LTE speeds it is a very hard decision.

Yep after being on Sprint and boost for a long time, hspa is a welcome sight

Upvote 0
Not a hard decision at all for some - me, for example. While I'm wowed by the numbers - being an engineer, I really like big numbers - 4G speeds in the area of 5-10mps is what I get with my iPhone now and it's perfectly acceptable for web surfing and e-mail, etc. I don't do streaming, but even if I did, it probably would be fine.

I went and played with an LG Optimus G today and am FLOORED by overall feel of the device on ICS. I'm sure it'll only get exponentially better with 4.2. For $350 unlocked I'll live with the memory and 4G for a year or so until the next one comes out.

Upvote 0
I am on AT&T network at the momentand I am seriously considering switching to T Mobile for there 4g and unlimited data. the good and the bad about switching to T Mobile is that I travel a lot and go through a lot of data on the road and not worrying about going over 2GB of data on att would be amazing, but I also know their coverage sucks but I'm usually in high populated areas like cities or towns that would most likely have good coverage. Tmob also has good service where I live that includes their 4G. Anyone else have a reason I should not switch to tmob from att using my brand new nex4? BTW I live in STL.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones