• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ANNOYING Blue Bar after Search From Google "Widget" (Unremovable)

dhbuckley

Aug 29, 2010
Motorola Droid Turbo (XT1254), latest stock Verizon software, 5.1, Config version: F14.MOT.XT1254.0

There is the ubiquitous Google Search bar with the microphone icon for speaking to your phone or you can input a query with keyboard at the top of every screen. Some hate it, some like it, I liked it, now I HATE it because of this change:

Previous behavior: execute a search by voice or type input, touch a result, asked which app to use, gave a choice of browsers installed, choose, link opens in browser chosen.

Current behavior: execute a search by voice or type input, touch a result, link opens in what appears to be Chrome with an ANNOYING blue bar across the top identifying the site being used, has x on the left, 3 dots on the right for settings, if you touch the x, goes back to the search results.

Question 1. Is this the Google App? Or Google Now? Or Chrome? None show as "Running" apps.

Question 2. Is there any way to disable this blue bar and go back to being asked which browser I want to use when touching any search result? I can choose the browser if I touch the 3 dots and then "open in browser" then choose. Crazy annoying and to me this is Google favoring Chrome in a way they did not previously.

Question 3: How do I post screenshots of this behavior here?

Thanks, all.

1. It is the Google app (Google Now is also the Google app.)

2. I'm really not sure. I suppose that you could reset default apps in settings / apps, tap the menu, reset defaults, and see if you get prompted to choose an app. (This will reset defaults for all of your apps, so you'll start getting prompts the first time you try something that has no default, just FYI.) It may be that you can disable the Google search bar in the launcher and put another widget in its place. I'd look around in the Google app settings to see if there is a way to set the result to go to Chrome instead of the Google app, but that may not be an option.

3. You can take a screenshot by pressing power and volume down at the same time, and then upload the screenshot to the forums here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones