• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Another confused ICS updater..

nsound

Lurker
Apr 14, 2012
Hi - I've been having trouble with the OTA 4.0.4 update i keep receiving - after googling for days and not finding a working solution i thought i'd ask here..

Model: Nexus S
Android version: 2.3.1
Baseband version: I9020XXJK8
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-g7f1638a, android-build@apa28 #1
Build number: GRH78

Carrier: 3

Rooted: Yes

I keep getting an OTA 4.0.4 update notification that fails each time i try to install. What should i do?! Do i need to update manually to something else first... do i need to unroot the phone first? can i download the full image from somewhere and update from SD card?
Any advice gratefully received, Thanks in advance :thinking::mad:

hmm, thanks for replies - I've tried manually updating directly to 4.0.3 and also tried updating to 2.3.2 - to then keep updating incrementally until i hit ICS - everything fails with a status 7 error message

full message:

Installing update
assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "crespo" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "crespo"
E:Error in /android/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones