• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

any advice before I join the club?

antioch216

Feb 4, 2011
so, tomorrow is my birthday so I'll be able to upgrade away from my iPhone 3G that the top half of the touchscreen doesn't register lol.

My local AT&T store said they'll have a couple for tomorrow and are holding one for me, so as soon as my last class is over, I'm bee-lining it there. Just wondering if you guys have some advice to give me now that the dust has settled:

so far I'm planning on doing the battery cover at my own leisure so I don't scratch or break anything. I also plan to run the initial charge down to optimize battery life (seems like the people who did this got a really good charge on the second one). Anything else?

I'm not so sure ATT is going to let you leave without getting the phone up and running? Meaning, they're going to want to get the battery installed as well as the SIM card.

I let the guy at Radio Shack take care of it for me. He snapped the bottom cover in half, but replaced it with one from another phone. Had I done that at home, I'd be out of luck.

Upvote 0
so, tomorrow is my birthday.

Just wondering if you guys have some advice to give me now that the dust has settled:
Sounds like a great birthday present, congratulations!

As others have mentioned, AT&T will do a short basic setup including installing the battery so they can activate it and be sure it works. They've always done a good job being careful with mine.

Once they're done, check it to satisfy yourself that it's free of scratches.

Battery: I always bring my new phones home and charge them with the phone off, till the battery is fully charged. It doesn't take long, perhaps 45 min to 60 minutes. Then I run it on battery till it's below 20%. I repeat that for the first week and end up getting very good battery life.

I would highly suggest you resist the urge to root it, or load it up with Apps right away.

Remember this is a top of the line smartphone, designed by engineers that know what they're doing.

Some apps _are _ supposed_ to run in the background so don't obsess over that. It's perhaps the most misunderstood & talked about topic.

You're going to find by using it as it comes out of the box, it's fast, fun & reliable.

You can always make changes later. For now just read the posts here and use Google too.

Most important, relax and enjoy it!

You're going to love this phone, mine is certainly fantastic.

Cheers... :)

Upvote 0
Sounds like a great birthday present, congratulations!

As others have mentioned, AT&T will do a short basic setup including installing the battery so they can activate it and be sure it works. They've always done a good job being careful with mine.

Once they're done, check it to satisfy yourself that it's free of scratches.

Battery: I always bring my new phones home and charge them with the phone off, till the battery is fully charged. It doesn't take long, perhaps 45 min to 60 minutes. Then I run it on battery till it's below 20%. I repeat that for the first week and end up getting very good battery life.

I would highly suggest you resist the urge to root it, or load it up with Apps right away.

Remember this is a top of the line smartphone, designed by engineers that know what they're doing.

Some apps _are _ supposed_ to run in the background so don't obsess over that. It's perhaps the most misunderstood & talked about topic.

You're going to find by using it as it comes out of the box, it's fast, fun & reliable.

You can always make changes later. For now just read the posts here and use Google too.

Most important, relax and enjoy it!

You're going to love this phone, mine is certainly fantastic.

Cheers... :)

Yeah, I think I'll actually let them do it, in case it does get scratched it's on them. I probably won't get to use it as my primary until Thursday since my woman is taking me out for dinner. so I think I'll charge it just like you said.

I'm going to disable some stuff out of the box, cause I like to manually check my Facebook, emails, etc. I don't have any push settings on at all.

Like someone else said on here, I can jailbreak and do all that stuff to my iPhone, but I have NO plans on rooting for a long time

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones