• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Any of you switch to an EVO yet

if u want the evo i have a way where u can get an upgrade now.... im waiting right now for sprint to get more Evo's in stock...I upgraded back in Nov to the Moment, and now about to get the EVO.......YEAAAAAAAAAA BUDDDDDDDDDDDDYYYYYY

Please tell how you are doing this. I'd love to upgrade my phone to the Evo 4G, then do the same with my wife's phone. We both currently have Moments.

Upvote 0
I'm beginning to wonder if swankydank2001 is trolling us all or had his/her deal fall through...
I'm thinking the same thing...

Though I have heard that after 3 swaps they allow you to upgrade. To what extent, I do not know...

Last weekend I made a trip from Raleigh NC to Miami FL... My phone locked up 6 times in 13hrs.
Today I just got back from Miami. During the drive, my phone locked up 5 times.
Keep in mind that I was using my phone as my GPS to find out where I was going. Granted, the vast majority of my trip was spent on I-95 so when it locked up I left it that way for at least an hour. But it was a huge pain in my @$$ when the phone locked up at some point, and while messing with it I missed my exit to the Jacksonville beltway to avoid traffic... but that's a whole other issue. The plain facts are that the phone should have never locked up in the first place. Tomorrow I am going to get it exchanged... I will be on my 3rd Samsung Moment :mad:.

On a side note, during my trip I think I discovered a method to avoid data lockup. It seemed to never occur when I had my phone holstered in my air-vent drink holder. In other words, when my phone was kept cold it didn't lockup. When I took the phone out of the drink holder in order to use it for a drink (the holder, not the phone:rolleyes:) it would lockup within 20 minutes.:( Can anyone else test this theory? I found it to be very consistent during my 26hr-total test:p.

Upvote 0
On a side note, during my trip I think I discovered a method to avoid data lockup. It seemed to never occur when I had my phone holstered in my air-vent drink holder. In other words, when my phone was kept cold it didn't lockup. When I took the phone out of the drink holder in order to use it for a drink (the holder, not the phone:rolleyes:) it would lockup within 20 minutes.:( Can anyone else test this theory? I found it to be very consistent during my 26hr-total test:p.

my moment gets crazy hot since 2.1. Like, too hot to hold in my hand sometimes. Ridiculously hot! You may be onto something there.

Upvote 0
I got to play with an EVO yesterday at a Sprint store. Tried to lag the thing out by downloading some apps and running multiple things at once. Couldn't do it. Also the touch keyboard required a small slowdown in typing but I think it's probably just because I'm not used to it. Overall I typed something as long as all the text including this sentence and had two or three mistakes (and I think auto-correct was turned off).

If I switched, I'd miss the physical keyboard to an extent, but I have never had to input much text into the Moment so I don't feel that it is as necessary as I once did.

Plus, HTC's got some slick upgrades to Android's interface. Wow.

Upvote 0
my moment gets crazy hot since 2.1. Like, too hot to hold in my hand sometimes. Ridiculously hot! You may be onto something there.
Yeah, when mine charges it gets really hot. When I use it for GPS it gets really hot. When I use it for wifi or data for an extended period of time it can get hot... I think this may be a cause for the data lockup problems. But I dunno.

On a side note, I went to have my Moment swapped out today. It was some rundown Sprint repair store with no real handsets to play with and no Evo ads... anyways, they had to order the phone so it will be in tomorrow.

I talked to the main tech guy and he said that 2 patches have been released since the 2.1 update that are not available through the Sprint online update software. I talked to him about the previous two versions of Android on the Moment and he assured me that he was not confusing them with the patches... So I guess tomorrow I will find out what is going on with it.

If in fact I do pickup a phone that has patches in the software, is there any way that I can check what they are, or even if they really do exist?

This is going to be my 3rd Samsung Moment, and if this phone does not operate like the phone was promised to operate 7 months ago, I am going to continue to push to swap every week forever until I get upgraded to something else. The combination of Data/CDMA lockup, Airplane mode, GPS drop, GPS lockup, Overheating and horrible Bluetooth static is just too much for me.

Upvote 0
I'm willing to bet that he's either mistaken, or full of it. If sprint/samsung had released a patch, even for in store use only, the hacker community would have had it long ago. Even if sprint/samsung were able to keep it a secret at the corporate level (not likely), it would be on sdx seconds after it hit the store level. The first time I tried to get the cl14 update, a "senior" Sprint store tech said he knew all about the update and then proceeded to update the prl and profile. Take it from where it comes.

Upvote 0
I picked up an Evo for my wife the day after launch day. It has a beautiful screen, and compares favorably to my Moment. The faster processor definitely makes the phone snappier. Sense isn't much of a big deal. The camera takes very nice photos.

However, I still think it is too big to carry in a pocket (works fine in a purse) and I personally prefer a hardware keyboard even though the soft keyboard works better than I expected.

Haven't had a chance to really test the 4G speeds yet...

Upvote 0
I'm willing to bet that he's either mistaken, or full of it. If sprint/samsung had released a patch, even for in store use only, the hacker community would have had it long ago. Even if sprint/samsung were able to keep it a secret at the corporate level (not likely), it would be on sdx seconds after it hit the store level. The first time I tried to get the cl14 update, a "senior" Sprint store tech said he knew all about the update and then proceeded to update the prl and profile. Take it from where it comes.
Believe me, I am quite a skeptic when it comes to anything that has to do with this phone or Sprint. I had considered the patch being at SDX, though when he was telling me about it I was jokingly wondering if maybe the patch originated from SDX :p

I'll see if any of my software info differs when I get the new handset tomorrow. :rolleyes: not likely.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones