• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any roms better than Fresh 1.1??

so...what programs are NORMALLY seen?? Another question. If I wanted to also add the pre kitchen to my phone could I do that?? Or are there certain steps I have to do???

pre kitchen goes on the computer.. not the phone..

the programs normally seen as the ones that are installed.. if it's installed, it shows under all programs.. if it doesn't show... it's not installed

Upvote 0
I would highly recommend trying out Aloysius 1.0 (03/03/10) I have only been using for a couple of hours but so far, very smooth and fast. Looks pretty sharp! I have been using Fresh for a while, just need something different to look at. No complaints.

I will give this one a +1 as well, have been using it for a day and a half! I have ran all the available roms, and to me this one is the best I have used!

Upvote 0
LOL, I understood that :p, just wondering what makes one ROM different from another, other than the apps included/excluded and themes included in the original...know what I mean?

I hear you, I keep seeing all these new "ROMs" pop-up but in reality they're all Fresh 1.1 with a couple apps added or removed. I'm sorry, but that doesn't justify calling it a new ROM. The Pancake ROM at least had some enhancements and tweaks. I think too many people are confused about what a ROM really is or isn't.

Upvote 0
I hear you, I keep seeing all these new "ROMs" pop-up but in reality they're all Fresh 1.1 with a couple apps added or removed. I'm sorry, but that doesn't justify calling it a new ROM. The Pancake ROM at least had some enhancements and tweaks. I think too many people are confused about what a ROM really is or isn't.

Well, I was talking more along the lines of the 2.1 ROM's that had just come out. Flipz and Gumbo have different kernels and different fixes incorporated into them, but look exactly the same.

Most people (myself included) picture a ROM as any modification of a previous ROM, whether it be including kernels, tweaking kernels, adding icon packs, themes, launchers, taskbars, etc. I don't really consider packaging apps or removing apps a ROM, because the easiest thing to do is add/remove apps, and it doesn't really require any work....not that flashing themes or icon packs require any work either, but you get the idea lol

Upvote 0

Any tweaks and/or new look to 'even' and already exsisting ROM...would and could be called whatever it creator wants to call it. So long as they give credit where credit is due....and not say that they built it from scratch.

Taking Fresh, and say...putting the latest kernel into it, as well as a new look and adding some good features such as SetCPU....would in turn make it a new package of Fresh. He or she who bundled all that up and took the time to piece together different part of what they want can call it whatever they want....and it would be just as much of a ROM as the original Fresh 1.1

They could also just call it a "NEW VERSION OF FRESH" with a better kernel and new rosie and different clock...and now comes with SetCPU!

....or they can call it something totally different and LET everyone know (it's a "NEW VERSION OF FRESH" with a better kernel and new rosie and different clock...and now comes with SetCPU!)

Pancake is a GREAT ROM....based off of Gumbo with the lastest kernel...and some great additions as well as subtractions.

Aloysius is a GREAT ROM....based off of Fresh 1.1 with the lastest kernel...and some great additions as well as subtractions.

The world will always have the haters :)

Upvote 0
So ROMS make the phone look different? Or is that only if the person who made it decides to change it up? Honestly, I love how the Hero looks out of the box, I just want it to be faster than what it is out of the box. So far, Fresh1.1 and Gumbo with SetCPU seem to do pretty decent. Anyone else that just wants it faster know of another good setup??

Upvote 0
So ROMS make the phone look different? Or is that only if the person who made it decides to change it up? Honestly, I love how the Hero looks out of the box, I just want it to be faster than what it is out of the box. So far, Fresh1.1 and Gumbo with SetCPU seem to do pretty decent. Anyone else that just wants it faster know of another good setup??

To me, Pancake seems smoother that the Fresh Gumbo setup. Right now I'm running my own modified Gumbo 2.1 with a setup similar to Pancake. It's very smooth. No lag anywhere.

Upvote 0
Is Gumbo 2.1 look like the 2.1 update we are hoping to get? Basically, it's not a 1.5 rom?

both Gumbo 2.1 and Fresh 2.0 are running Android 2.1... thanks to a leaked Droid Eris ROM... are they what we've been hoping for?? no. they still have some issues.. there will be plenty of 2.1 ROMs available once the Sprint 2.1 Updates get released (or leaked) with everything working. Until then, these are good alternatives..

Upvote 0
Is Gumbo 2.1 look like the 2.1 update we are hoping to get? Basically, it's not a 1.5 rom?

gumbo 2.1 LOOKS like stock 1.5 with sense (with a multi-screen view, whatever the hell you wanna call it lol), but has the functionality of 2.1, and is blazing fast.

Fresh 2.0b (a 2.1 ROM) has even more functionality than Gumbo 2.1, with the camera working, and mms as well. It's got the espresso look to it, with the square bar at the bottom instead of a rounded one. It's also extremely fast (just don't use SetCPU with it)

Upvote 0
gumbo 2.1 LOOKS like stock 1.5 with sense (with a multi-screen view, whatever the hell you wanna call it lol), but has the functionality of 2.1, and is blazing fast.

Fresh 2.0b (a 2.1 ROM) has even more functionality than Gumbo 2.1, with the camera working, and mms as well. It's got the espresso look to it, with the square bar at the bottom instead of a rounded one. It's also extremely fast (just don't use SetCPU with it)

Looking into rooting, as you know... where can I see all the functions each ROM has? I def need my camera!! LOL! I'd like to take a look at each ROM's inventory, so to speak. Where can I do that?

Upvote 0
I find myself being a creature of habit. When I first rooted I flashed Fresh 1.1 and loved it, after a few visual tweaks (clear widgets, 2.1 icons, Droid rosie and of course clear lockscreen). I tried the DamageControl and the I switched to Chocmatic's tweaked version of DamageControl just for the visual changes. As much as I liked the functionality and newness of the 2.1 ROM I find myself tempted to go back to Fresh 1.1 just because I had it just the way I liked it and knew what worked. As much as i would love to know what I'm doing beyond flashing I don't know what I'm doing to try and make my own changes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones