• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any teething problems so far?

Had my OneS since Friday. Pretty happy with it so far. No major issues.

Feel: Good quality, solid feel, nice detailing. Particularly like the notification light which is hidden in the earpiece grille. Feels very very thin though, so I do worry about dropping it. Hopefully someone else will carry out this 'test' and report back!

Screen; all fine, over saturated colour but crisp. Except black on white, eg reading kindle on black background, when text can appear 'sparkly' and grainy.

Battery: I have charged/discharged it about 3 times now. The battery appears to be 'conditioning'. Discharge rate is dropping after every charge so the phone is lasting for longer. Currently lasts for just over a 24 hours.

Camera: super fast. Thankfully has a good range of adjustments as the 'standard' setting is awful. Currently I have saturation -1 and contrast -1.

Sync-ing. Phone regularly fails to syn 'HTC weather'. The new ICS 'sync' page shows all services which require sync access; 'HTC Weather' is enables. However location is occasionally 'null' and weather is 'Sunny (1/10)'. Very annoying as I am using live wallpaper.

Live wallpaper; randomly animates. Animation only runs for 10s, which I believe is normal, but only animates sometimes. Doesnt run after unlocking, or after updating, or after returning to home screen. Except for 1 time in 10.

All in all, it seems a super fast, very slick and nice looking phone.

Upvote 0
Still having battery concerns with my One S so I've opened a refund with Amazon which is a pity as the phone is really nice. I'll give it a few more days to see if there is any improvement but it still tumbles from 100% to mid 60's in the space of 10 minutes, needs to be reset to get the correct reading back.
On the plus side the screen is lovely, knocks spots off that on my Xperia Arc S, the camera is very good and very quick, the device feels lovely in the hand and is very light. It's probably about as tall as I'd like though but is still comfortable to use one handed but any larger would be too big for me...
This is my first ICS phone and the small but noticeable differences make me reluctant to go back to previous versions of Android...the gallery apps load quicker, menus are better and the whole thing is just a nice improvement.
I also had the Xperia S but that was a nightmare.....yellow tint to the screen bottom, the battery cover kept pinging off, the bit at the bottom was creaky, the capacitive buttons were unresponsive....yuk, not good although the screen was top notch.

Upvote 0
Received my phone today. I was after the grey version, but tmobile uk only do the black one. My 1st thought when i opened the box was 'damn, thats a sexy beast'! Been playing with it for the last hour since the battery was charged and the battery level still hasnt dropped. So already, compared to my old desire the battery is improved.
Its by far the fastest phone i have used.
Will give it a few more days, see if anything bad crops up

Upvote 0
After 10 days of normal use, my One S just curled up and died.

First, Google Play started showing error messages.

Then it wouldn't connect to wifi, so I restarted.

Restarting just showed another error - android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly

Then another error message - 'Unfortunately, Talk has stopped'

And then another one - 'Unfortunately the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped'

At this stage, the phone wouldn't connect to wifi, wouldn't make or receive calls or SMS, wouldn't connect to mobile network, couldn't open music files or photos, couldn't even set the alarm as it couldn't find an alarm sound...

All it still did was tell the time, and the flashlight worked.

It is now winging its way back to the factory. I'm new to android, and maybe a more experienced user could overcome some of these problems, and if I'd had it longer, I would try to figure it out myself. However, a 10 day old phone should function as a phone, without my having to trawl the web for fixes. I presume that I just got a dud. The phone shop assistant said that already (I got the phone on its 2nd day of release in Ireland) they'd had quite a number returned, which is disappointing. I think I'll be replacing it with a Galaxy s2, as they seem to rate for reliability.

Mine could be an isolated incident, hope others don't have the same issues.

Upvote 0
Did you try a factory reset? Although, after all that, I probably would have just returned it to be honest.

I didn't - I considered it, but if that had resolved it, I felt that I still wouldn't be able to trust the device, and might not be able to prove to the shop that there were problems with it. Returning it just seemed like the best plan, while it was very new and could be proven that it wasn't a wear and tear/misuse issue. If the same thing happened a month or two from now, I might not have a leg to stand on.

Upvote 0
I didn't - I considered it, but if that had resolved it, I felt that I still wouldn't be able to trust the device, and might not be able to prove to the shop that there were problems with it. Returning it just seemed like the best plan, while it was very new and could be proven that it wasn't a wear and tear/misuse issue. If the same thing happened a month or two from now, I might not have a leg to stand on.

Fair play, that was probably the wisest choice.

Upvote 0
have Phone nuber 2 since Tuesday this week and only have 2 quibbless: 1/ the battery life but have found if you turn off the blue tooth and the wifi search it reduces it ok.
2/ my phone does not recognise my phone number off the sim, I can text, ring do every thing a sim should do but my phone still shows in the about section "Number unknown" vodafone dont hard programme the number into the sim is there are way around this?
back to the review. I have the grey metalic version and it looks the dogs doo dahs cant fault it , great look, great display, F1 responsive on the touch screen, camera is awesome (not sure I would sky dive whilst using it though) video is very HD and the sound is brilliant.
Beats by Dre really improve my music sounds too and the ur beats head phones must have a lot of tech in them beacause the are the heaviest and robust set of ear buds I have very had they fill like a pair of small car speakers.
I struggled with the blacke berry type qwerty key board for a day or 2 until found it can be configures to your hand, since then no problems.
all in all its the best phone and most interesting phone(because everytime I turn it on I discover something new it can do) I have ever had, Nokia would have to do something amazing to entice me back to them again. I am now an HTC devotee

Upvote 0
Only had the phone a few day's exchanged from a Blackberry, couldn't get on with the keyboard with my big didgets!!

Only issues so far after one evenings playing (had to wait for the micro sim to arrive) are

1. Opening a couple of apps to just check them out, pressing the back button it seems to freeze, tried pressing the home button but frozen too, did a quick lock-unlock on the phone, it goes back to the original frozen screen but you can use the back/home buttons

2. When back to the home screen it seems to have a bit of a fit, it jumps to the five screen layout and back to the home screen a couple of times then settles down.

When i say the five screen layout i mean when you pinch the home screen it shows the five screens together.

Paul.

Upvote 0
Hey,

Had the phone 1 week now and still loving it!
The only problems ive had are with certain apps that have not been updated to work with android os4. Also have cut off calls accidently with my cheek a few times.
On days i dont use the phone a lot i charge it every 48 hours, but if i use it alot and play angry birds alot then i have to charge it after 24 hours, which is fine.
On my old desire angry birds would destroy the battery life.

I have purchased a case for my phone http://www.amazon.co.uk/HTC-One-Ski...RUYY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334495775&sr=8-1
Which is brilliant, doesnt really add much bulk to the phone.

All in all im really happy with the phone

Upvote 0
Beefy 505 I had the big digit problem but after going into settings htc sense keyboards I found configure key board which sets it to your type of hand movements it gives you a sentance to type and remembers the way your fingers move. I dont spell words wrongly as much as I used to when I first got it.

also re the issue of my phone identity reading unknown number I have resolved that also folks, I went into my attic found my old sony ericsson W860i walkman phone put my micro sim in and went to contacts/options/ more/ special numbers and added my phone number. took the micro sim out placed back in the ONE S and hey presto the phone identity shows with my phone number. it beggars belief that you can jump out of a plane take live photos and videos in high definition whilst hurtling to the ground but listen to sound upgraded by beats technology by dr dre but it cant see its own identity but an old steam powered phone can ah well as we say in the north theres nowt as funny as folk.

Upvote 0
Phone good enough - having trouble getting push email working once the phone has nodded off for about 30 mins to an hour.
Using K-9 Mail seems to be the only way to get push sort - if you know another then let me know.
K-9 must be left running in the background otherwise push doesn't work at all - as I said, half an hour after the screen goes dark push doesn't work any more anyway.
Battery is feeble - I don't feel at liberty to use the phone a great deal for fear it will drain drastically on me - I bring my charger to work with me every day now - that can't be right!
Software, apart from push issues, is pretty good.
A bit of a nuisance to stop Facebook friends syncing with my phone contacts - I don't want to see their ugly mugs in my contacts list.
Camera is nice - got some great shots at the weekend.
Screen is bright and clear.
It's my first Android phone and it's proving ... interesting.
I'm hoping to iron out the push email issue and find battery saving methods.

Upvote 0
HTC One S owner as of about 12 hours ago (and MONTHS of waiting since MWC).

We all know the pros, but here are the issues I have so far, which may or may not be easily resolved over the coming days:

• Swype
    I had swype on my HTC Desire, but can't install it on my HOS due to a screen size limitation. Other devices seem to also be getting this issue. Hopefully it's being addressed in a new version, because I'm afraid ICS's swipe version just doesn't cut it...
  • Menu button
    A lot of applications haven't yet properly integrated the menu button, so it ends up taking a lot of real estate with its own bar at the bottom of the screen. Less than ideal. Most notable on this "get your shit together" list is my UI of choice, Launcher Pro. :(
  • No physical keys, no trackball
    I know Android phones have been moving away from physical keys and trackballs for two years, but I miss them. They were so well-executed on the HTC Desire - felt sturdy, quality - and I could rest my fingers on them. I feel like I have less grip on this phone because of that, but again... it's only been 12 hours. I'm struggling with text-editing without swype and my trackball.

Anyone agree/disagree? (Anyone else come from a Desire?)

Upvote 0
Well I returned the HTC One S to Amazon and ordered up another one which arrived a couple of days ago. This one, touch wood, seems to be working just fine re the battery charging so I am very pleased. This is unquestionably the best Android phone I've used to date, my criteria being that I avoid any device that looks like you could serve your tea on it...which rules out slabs like the latest Nexus and HTC One X.
I can't understand those reviewers who have dissed the screen, I think it is rather good. It's so quick and smooth.

Reactions: ked0607
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones