• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any Thoughts From This Community on the Global RUU

Would be interested in what folks who have flashed this think. Benefits and issues. Thanks much in advance
Been running it since a week or so after release...

Benefits: Minor battery life improvement after several days and locking the mode to CDMA/LTE, battery seems to be significantly better in areas of good signal and worse in areas of poor signal, for me it's an overall plus most days. No data stall issues, not once since going to global mode ROM. No stupid location settings pop-ups every time you change a setting.

Issues: (Car?) charger is not recognized occasionally with screen blanked, unblank screen and it is recognized right away. Manually toggling Mobile Data or WiFi on/off causes reboot (hasn't done this since a factory reset 2 weeks ago, may have been an app conflict and not a ROM issue)

So basically unless you are going overseas (or wish to experiment with AT&T/other SIMs), use Skype, or have lockup/data stall issues, there probably isn't much advantage to it at all, and on the downside unless Verizon/HTC happen to release this as an OTA ROM (unlikely), you will not get further OTA updates since it is not an official Verizon-supported ROM.

For me the main reason for changing was the data stall issues on the official .12 ROM, I got it several times a day, since I switched to the Global Mode ROM it hasn't happened once.

Upvote 0
This is the first reference to data stall issues on the official ICS release that I have seen. Unfortunately for me, I installed the leak and the stalls are as bad, perhaps worse. I am seeing some weird dips in battery charge status via SystemPanel. I may have hardware issue instead.
Odd, the official release notes even say that the data stall issue is fixed in the Global RUU... Here's The Full Changelog Of HTC Rezound's 4.03.605.2 Update and since I have been running this ROM I have never had a data stall issue even once.

Hopefully your new unit will be better, let us know how it goes!

Reactions: lowlyworm
Upvote 0
Thanks for the link, acejavelin. Guess I haven't been paying close attention. I wish I could remember if I was having stalls with the original ICS rollout, since that's what's coming tomorrow. I have the dot 2 leak on this thing and I'm not going to bother with pulling it before it goes back. I may run out of goodwill with VZW before I get a working phone. From what I read here, the chance of getting a good refurb on the first try is rather slim.

Upvote 0
The replacement Rezound seems to be in good shape and has solved my data stalling problems. Interestingly, the new unit didn't recognize the SIM card initially. I pulled it, along with the battery 3 times to no avail. Just before giving up, I broke out some top-quality electronic contact cleaner and swabbed down the SIM card and replaced it one last time. That worked. I wonder if a crappy SIM card connection was my problem all along. I should note that I not using the Global leak(s).

Upvote 0
The replacement Rezound seems to be in good shape and has solved my data stalling problems. Interestingly, the new unit didn't recognize the SIM card initially. I pulled it, along with the battery 3 times to no avail. Just before giving up, I broke out some top-quality electronic contact cleaner and swabbed down the SIM card and replaced it one last time. That worked. I wonder if a crappy SIM card connection was my problem all along. I should note that I not using the Global leak(s).
Verizon SIM cards seem kind of flaky, I have had intermittent issues with mine as well, every once in a while. Heard of a lot of people who have had to get replacements but I rarely every hear of a AT&T or T-Mobile user having to get a new SIM... :/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones