1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Any true VoIP applications that work?

Last Updated:

1. miketeebo

miketeebo New Member This Topic's Starter

I have been looking around today and am trying to find a VoIP application that will actually work.

Let's say, what if I got my phone shut off from VZW, would there be a way to make VoIP calls over wifi? I have seen posts about using Google Voice in conjunction with other programs. Also, Nimbuzz? Anyone have a positive approach they have used for this?

I will be going out of the US for a while and will be getting my VZW account inactive for a while. I am looking for a way in which I'll be able to still use my Droid Incredible to make calls to the US using wifi. I'd even be willing to make calls just to Skype friends or Nimbuzz friends. I am hoping that someone else has found a way to accomplish this.

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement
    bmorganiii likes this.
  2. r3dlined

r3dlined Well-Known Member

search sipdroid to start

3. miketeebo

miketeebo New Member This Topic's Starter

From what I have read is that Sipdroid needs a Gizmo5 account but you can't get one anymore?

4. quebert

quebert Well-Known Member

Sipdroid works with Google Voice + Sipscorcery. Sipscorcery is invite only now, I googled this and apparently you can get Sipdroid to work with only GV, it's just not as transparent as if you also have a Sipscorecy account. For the life of me I cannot get it to work. I gave up a few days ago but will probably try again this weekend. Would LOVE to hear from anyone who's gotten Sipdroid to work with only GV.

5. Impact9

Impact9 Member

I'm in the same boat. Everything I'm finding online is outdated or very very confusing.

I suspended my verizon account while I am deployed and would really like a free to ultra cheep way to call the US from the hot spots on our installation. I have google voice and sipdroid but getting everything to work is beyond me.

I've setup accounts on pbxes, sip2sip, and IPKall as suggested in this guide but I can't verify anything is working. If someone could guide us in setting up voip on a android this would really help us deployed guys and gals out a lot.

6. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation VIP Member

Get a sipgate number routed through GV and use one of the various voip apps on the market like 3cxphone. Not sure about international calls but they should be fairly cheap opposed to the alternative standard method.

7. sghere

sghere Well-Known Member

I actually got Sipdroid/Sipgate and GV to work for free outgoing/incoming calls, but the "free" account isn't very dependable with Sipgate. I missed about 1/3 of the calls while on 3G, and about 10% while on wifi.

I could make calls using GV callback without a problem, but I think the problem is really with Sipgate. The only way to receive all the calls 100% of the time was never to move. lol

I'm back to using the GV callback with that number in my 10 Friends/Family. Soooo 100% of all my calls are free. Just have to get people used to the new number. ;)

S

8. quebert

care to help us out who can't get this working? I signed up for a sipgate account, not sure what else I need to setup. I used it for a few minutes, call quality was good. But then I noticed the minutes in the upper left of my sipgate account page going down, so it's obviously not using GV. GV Callback will say it's attempting to call me back but my Droid never rings.

I'm sure it's something simple but I'm stumped.

9. gasolinev8

gasolinev8 Member

10. quebert

Thanks for posting this, I figured it out I didn't have my sipgate number activated in my sipgate settings DOH! Seems to work great now.

11. uzetaab

uzetaab Well-Known Member

Just thought I would mention that skype was released for android a few days ago. It should be on the market unless you're carrier is blocking it. If it's blocked, you can try going to Skype's mobile site on your phone & downloading directly.
    Download Skype for your mobile

12. Soybomb

Soybomb Member

Unless you're looking for something free it isn't hard at all. Any voip provider that gives you sip credentials can be used with sipdroid or 3cx. I use voip.ms with 3cx.

13. kartnite

kartnite Well-Known Member

- Was not impressed with the call quality over 3CX.

- Try as I might, I couldn't get SIPDroid to work.

- Currently using Nimbuzz.

I avail SIP services from Betamax. Planning to try out *talkonaut* in the near future.

I'm wondering, though, if there are SIP clients for an android device that offer call conferencing features.

PS: Unable to download Skype, just yet. Wanna see if their client allows manual entry of SIP settings.

14. ArthurIhde

ArthurIhde Well-Known Member

hmm i dont have a positive approach they have used for this [​IMG]