• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any way to know what App is associated with UID consuming lot of Data

Hi,
CwYh9Y4
I have an Android Phone, and have installed an app that contains some lectures related to my field. Today I noticed that my daily data allowance got over pretty fast. On doing data analysis, Android settings don't show much unaccounted data usage. However the topmost figure in the data usage column (DOBULE_APP) which shows data in kb, actually shows 1 gb+ usage on clicking. A 3rd party app shows something labelled UID 5 using up max data. Is there someway to know whats eating up my data? Also, if there were a way to know how much space is being used by a particular app in total (similar to what is possible on my ipad), I might be able to see which app's size is balloning the max, and whether the total size corresponds to the downloaded data.

Would appreciate any help in this regard.
Screenshot_2022_0609_083218.jpg
Screenshot_2022_0609_083357.jpg
Screenshot_20220609_081800.jpg

IQOO 7 Legend unrooted. Android 12
ok well not familiar with the phone as well as the app you used "usage analyzer". uid stands for unique identifier. each application is assigned its own uid. now what that is on your phone is much harder to find out.

if you really want to know, i found this:
https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/8452/how-can-i-find-app-name-by-uid

a few posts down will detail how to find out using adb commands. if you want to go that route, we can guide you to getting adb setup first. you will need a computer and have your phone hooked up to it.

have you tried just re-booting your phone? and last resort you can factory reset the phone.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your replies. Since my UID only says UID 5, I doubt it is the correct full UID being displayed. I'll just pause the downloads in my lectures app and see if the data usage from the other process keeps increasing. Since some of the lectures in the app are DMR protected lectures, I reckon the UID may be for those subset of lectures.

Thanks for taking the time.

The apps mentioned in the article have vanished from app store. So no luck trying even with UID 5.

If someone else suggests a more widely accepted app to monitor app data usage/mobile data usage by app, apart from the default Android Settings method, I may try that. Will update after pausing lecture downloads.

Upvote 0
This is just speculation without more details but looking at your screen caps there is some correlation to show that UID-5 is that Dobule app. You have 'Day' selected in the top 'Data Usage' screen cap, which would then be showing just that day's amount of data usage (apparently you didn't use the app much that day); beneath that User:Dobule_app screen cap indicates that the app does use quite a sizable amount of data (1.19GB) and the DigiNerve app used 768MB; and then at the bottom that Data Usage screen cap shows the totals at that point -- UID-5 used 1.86GB and DigiNerve 864MB. The correlation being each screen cap show the apps in the same descending order with the highest usage being first. If you scroll those same windows to a more accurate summation using more data points that should be more solid evidence that your phone's interface uses the typical user names for apps while that third-party Usage Analyzer opts to refer to apps using more cryptic identifiers instead.

Upvote 0
It seems to me too that the UID-5 and DOBULE_APP are one and the same. However, I think lectures app (Diginerve) is a Niche app, so its UIDs will not be widely known. I'll keep an eye on data usage today by the apps, and if the Data usage by DOBULE_APP & UID-5 start rising as soon as I click on Download Lectures, my suspicions will be confirmed. The lectures may be HD content, thats why they may be using so much data.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I suppose I'm just lucky. I just checked my usage and all month I've only got 487KB used. Kilobytes. That's mobile data. (I'm on wifi mostly) but on my 'modern' phones that would span like 3 GB used just doing nothing.

The lack of usage is likely because I have no Google account on this phone and it's an 11 year old android phone.

I just checked my last months data usage, which was 57GB of mobile data. That was because of two weeks in Jinan Central Hospital, their WiFi sucked, and I like to watch my YouTube and TikTok in HD. :thumbsupdroid:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I too have that app user fobule and my device is also from iqoo it is z3 I was searching for this using my Google lens and found this article...
Keep in mind that your screen capture only indicates data usage for that day. That's more or less irrelevant. You need to access how much was the total data usage for the app within the entire monthly billing period. Simply looking at what data the app used in one day isn't the issue, it may be minimal one day but quite it bit on another day. You need to access the total sum, not just any one day's usage.

Upvote 0
I just checked my last months data usage, which was 57GB of mobile data. That was because of two weeks in Jinan Central Hospital, their WiFi sucked, and I like to watch my YouTube and TikTok in HD. :thumbsupdroid:

My Note 10.1 does YouTube and I can barely break 16GB a month doing that. I never got into TikTok and associated that with bored millennials who need dopamine hits all day.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones