• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone else accidently hanging up on people while talking?

Yeah there's an IR sensor below the ear-speaker that should detect whether your face is coming in contact if your phone or not. When it does, your screen will turn off to avoid any accidental hang up.

It's an automatic thing so If your phone isn't doing it, try cleaning the area around there (between the top of your screen and the speaker) and make a call (Sprint's customer service or your voicemail it doesn't matter). When you are on the call, wave your hand close to where your ear should be and see if the screen turns off then on.

If it doesn't then it may be defective :(

Reactions: 11sec_lx
Upvote 0
Yeah there's an IR sensor below the ear-speaker that should detect whether your face is coming in contact if your phone or not. When it does, your screen will turn off to avoid any accidental hang up.

It's an automatic thing so If your phone isn't doing it, try cleaning the area around there (between the top of your screen and the speaker) and make a call (Sprint's customer service or your voicemail it doesn't matter). When you are on the call, wave your hand close to where your ear should be and see if the screen turns off then on.

Perhaps there is something interfering with it too -- a screen protector perhaps?

Upvote 0

This. The specific sensor, by the way, is located closer to the HTC logo.

Upvote 0
This. The specific sensor, by the way, is located closer to the HTC logo.

Yes, you should be able to simply put your finger over (even a half in away from it) the HTC logo while on a call and cause it to blank the screen. If that doesnt happen then your sensor is broken for some reason. If that does happen then maybe check where that is to relation to your head when on a call, maybe if you hold the phone right-handed at an angle it could cause that problem because you are just a bit too far from that sensor.

Upvote 0
I see a sensor above the word, sprint. I will try that. Thanks guys.

That is the front facing camera (above the Sprint logo). There are two more sensors under the front ear piece/speaker... They are on the left side. You must be in a good lighting and at a certain angle to see them. One of those two is you proximity sensor that will/should turn the screen off when in close proximity to your face.

Upvote 0
Just work it down in there and swan and spin.

For some reason this makes me shudder - like some sort of STD exam or something (haha). The lint in that area is driving me nuts, I will def. try this.

I noticed my face ending the call too, same as the OP. I did clean that top area a few minutes ago, and managed to wave my hand in front of the sensor while in a call and it did turn of pretty quickly as my hand passed over the sensor.

Thanks for the tips!

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem. My sensor is working a little too well, it seems! All it takes is for me to adjust my phone on my ear, I don't even have to pull it away, and the screen activates and I usually end up either hanging up on the person, or calling someone else, or muting them. It's pretty annoying. Does anyone know of anyway to adjust the setting or of an app available on the market to help with this? I'm about ready to get a different phone because of this. It happens to me several times a day.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones