• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone have 2 stock music apps? (from early adoption of music player 2.1)

johnatthebar

Nov 13, 2009
So I had 2 versions of Gallery and Music Player when I was running 2.0.1 and downloaded the apk's for the 2.1 Gallery and Music apps. When I upgraded to 2.1 OS I figured the 2.0 apps would be wiped out. It appears that they have until you look deeper.

I have only one icon for the stock music app but noticed that when I press the button on my headset it would start and pause music OTHER than what was qeued in the music app. When I go to 'manage apps' I have 2 music apps listed (both say ver 7). One is 580kb and the other 4kb, giving the impression that the 4kb version is nothing really, but there are definately two versions running at times...hence the whole 2 different songs playing at once deal when I press the headset button.

Any ideas? I'm reluctant to try deleting anything as I am not sure how I can verify that any of the files floating around right now for the music app are the current version and don't wanna complicate life if I delete something that causes a problem.

It sounds like you never rooted? Have you tried doing a factory reset? (it will wipe all data, so you'll want to do a backup of your apps with Astro). Other than that, with root you can get into system apps and delete the extra one; I'm not sure if you can stock. Otherwise, I'd just do a google search for the .apks (the Milestone one should be floating around too and I think it's supposed to be pretty nice).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones