• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone on-board for The Vive when it comes out?

I can't say it's for me. I sure would like a go with it however. VR will be all the rage at some point. Mixed with HTC quality, I'm sure it's going to be one heck of an experience. We've come a long ways from this lol.

images

It's extremely exciting technology. And if HTC and Valve can bring the experience to the normal Joe... the games ON!

Upvote 0
I can't say it's for me. I sure would like a go with it however. VR will be all the rage at some point. Mixed with HTC quality, I'm sure it's going to be one heck of an experience. We've come a long ways from this lol.

images

It's extremely exciting technology. And if HTC and Valve can bring the experience to the normal Joe... the games ON!

Related: Google And Mattel Revive The View-Master
mattel-view-master.jpg

After playing quite a bit with Cardboard, I'm pretty excited about the future of consumer VR. Though at this point in the game, I'd have a hard time putting down real money for a VR handset (Vive, OR, whatever Samsung's thing is called) when 90% of the experience can be had for less than $20 worth of cardboard and lenses.

Reactions: smootskin
Upvote 0
It looks heavy. I haven't seen any specs. I don't think it's run about town gear lol. I would think it's something one would use in the privacy of their home. I recently read a book about our future society basically existing in a virtual world. It was a good read and had some interesting insight to VR. I do think it will take off... it's exciting technology.
It will have to be "blow your socks off" cool... and affordable.

Upvote 0
The Lawnmower Man, 1992
lawnmowerman.jpg

Sci-fi of course, but that headset was a real product at the time.

All I'm thinking is, they've had over two decades to reduce the size and bulk of these things. :D

3D immersive video glasses needn't be large and bulky, and can be quite discrete these days.
http://cmvoli.en.made-in-china.com/...ortable-Video-Glasses-with-1080P-Display.html
Just add a gyro, accelerometer or whatever else is required to detect position and motion, and that's it I think.

IMO the HTC Vive might appeal to under 20s possibly, who might not have known the 1990s VR craze the first time round, movies such as The Lawnmower Man and Virtuosity(1995), and "Virtuality" helmets. A main diffrence these days, is that you don't need a $50,000 Silicon Graphics workstation to make it possible. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The virtual reality of these new machines is nothing compared to anything you seen before. There is nothing Google cardboard does that is even one half of what these new HTC and oculus devices can do. Virtualreality is the future and soon these will be in every store and everyone's houses. These aren't fads or gimmicks anymore this is the way technology is moving I myself own a gear VR And compared to even this limited device Google cardboard is nothing more than a nausea inducing piece of paper that you can put your phone in.

You need the headsets to be this bulky because they hold all the meters and tech they can't just be slim down because they're not only powering the screen that is as good as a modern day cell phone but they're also just plain filled with devices that you can't shrink yet.

Whoever said card board is ninty percent of the experience has never touched a dk2 lol

Upvote 0

images

WOW!

That picture brings back memories!

I had one of those a a child!

I also had several disks! They were Great!

Thanks for reminding me of that! [emoji4]

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
I don't think I'll be an early adopter. I see this like 3DTV, too gimmickee for my tastes.

I also think 3DTV is gimmicky because it doesn't add that much to the experience of watching a movie, but I don't think that being able to walk around inside of a convincing virtual reality can be considered a gimmick. There is nothing else with which to compare it, of which it is a gimmicky upgrade. First Person Shooters are the closest comparison, but VR isn't a gimmicky upgrade to FPS that merely enhances the existing experience (like 3DTV does). It is something else.

3D immersive video glasses needn't be large and bulky, and can be quite discrete these days.
http://cmvoli.en.made-in-china.com/...ortable-Video-Glasses-with-1080P-Display.html
Just add a gyro, accelerometer or whatever else is required to detect position and motion, and that's it I think.

In Rob's brief report on Youtube he said that the headset had very wide viewing angles, allowing objects to be seen in his peripheral vision, whereas a trimmed down headset cannot easily achieve this, I imagine. The headset you linked to only has a viewing angle of 26 degrees.

IMO the HTC Vive might appeal to under 20s possibly, who might not have known the 1990s VR craze the first time round

Well even though there was a VR craze in the 90s, few people ever got to experience it. I certainly never did. There was a craze for the idea of VR but not the experience. The technology wasn't ready then. A bit like Sinclair's portable mini TV. It didn't take off, but now we all carry the equivalent in our phones. I look forward to this technology becoming mainstream. It sounds awesome! :D

Upvote 0
I have some inside knowledge I am not allowed to share from a company that is in the distribution side for 3D immersive videos. Based on that I see tremendous potential in the industrial market for product design, drafting and engineering but I think the consumer applications will be a gimmick as others have already said.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones