• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Anyone Using the Barcode Scanner (ZXing)

FLAWLESSVW

Jun 18, 2011
Cleveland, OH
I am trying to use the Barcode Scanner by ZXing Team and just can't seem to get it to scan. The camera doesn't focus that well up close. App itself runs fine and the viewfinder comes up to scan, but it just never seems to catch it (on traditional, old-school 2d barcodes, haven't tried QR codes or whatever).

I am trying to use the Barcode Scanner by ZXing Team and just can't seem to get it to scan. The camera doesn't focus that well up close. App itself runs fine and the viewfinder comes up to scan, but it just never seems to catch it (on traditional, old-school 2d barcodes, haven't tried QR codes or whatever).
most bar code scanners need an autofocusing camera the prevail is fixed focus.

Upvote 0
Tried all the others, they can only do QR codes. Tried Red Laser, and it couldn't scan barcodes either. And when I entered a UPC code manually, it came back with the wrong book.

Guess I don't need barcodes that badly, although something to help me track my book collection would be great.

Sorry to hear, for me Red Laser works perfectly on all barcodes. Lighting has to be good and I need a little patience on Red Laser, but it always scans.

Upvote 0
Happy Holidays, at the android market, when I try to download this app it says it is not compatible, how does one make their prevail compatible with this program, thanks for your help.
I hope by now you have found your answer but in case you have not here goes.

You download it on your pc google it. Then transfer it to your sdcard and install it with a file manager, astro, myfiles, what ever you have.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones