• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone wish they'd bought the Sensation?

staffsmatt

Jun 7, 2010
Hi all, I'm looking into buying a new phone and it's going to be either the desire s or the sensation.

I'm 90% towards the Desire S but before I do I was wondering if any of you that have already got it are wishing you'd gone for the Sensation instead? I got the Legend last time and whilst I'm happy with it I did always wonder if I should have gone with the original Desire. Want to make sure this time!

Cheers all

Matt

If you read some of the posts on here you'll see that the current Desire S has some pretty major signal problems with the latest software version.

I'm currently awaiting my Sensation after the guys at Orange eventually agreed to replace the Desire S.

I'm sure the Sensation is not without any problems but after reading a few forums I cant see anything major to worry about other than it would be advisable to install a better battery.

Upvote 0
Hi all, I'm looking into buying a new phone and it's going to be either the desire s or the sensation.

I'm 90% towards the Desire S but before I do I was wondering if any of you that have already got it are wishing you'd gone for the Sensation instead? I got the Legend last time and whilst I'm happy with it I did always wonder if I should have gone with the original Desire. Want to make sure this time!

Cheers all

Matt

After the sense 3.0 update for the Desire S, the only major difference between the phones is the size of the screen 3.7 to 4.3.

I guess this should be your main parameter to check.

Upvote 0
If you read some of the posts on here you'll see that the current Desire S has some pretty major signal problems with the latest software version.

Yeah I did see that... I'm going to be going the SIM free route (no carrier software) so hopefully that won't be an issue (I also don't use 3G - just wireless so sticking it on 2G only isn't an issue for me).

After the sense 3.0 update for the Desire S, the only major difference between the phones is the size of the screen 3.7 to 4.3.

I guess this should be your main parameter to check.

That's good to know thanks, I actually want the smaller screen, I was more concerned with the processor difference, I know there isn't much about now that will tax it but I plan on keeping it for a good few years....

Thanks again.

Matt

Upvote 0
That's good to know thanks, I actually want the smaller screen, I was more concerned with the processor difference, I know there isn't much about now that will tax it but I plan on keeping it for a good few years....

Thanks again.

Matt

The cpu of the sensation is better, but I use the desire s for ~6 month with no problem at all.
Yesterday I installed the new sense 3.0, and it even looks smoother, so no cpu problem.

Note also that the sensation has 8MP camera vs 5MP of the desire s, but it depends on you how important it is.
I have no problem with the 5MP.

Upvote 0
The cpu of the sensation is better, but I use the desire s for ~6 month with no problem at all.
Yesterday I installed the new sense 3.0, and it even looks smoother, so no cpu problem.

Note also that the sensation has 8MP camera vs 5MP of the desire s, but it depends on you how important it is.
I have no problem with the 5MP.

No 5MP should be fine for me too I would think, sounds like the next OTA update sorts the signal out as well... As I'm not going to be getting it until December I think that should be a non - issue for me..

Cool, looks like it'll be the Desire S then, thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
Surely the main consideration above all the nonsense about a 'better' processor etc. is whether other phones have LONGER battery life.
This surely is the downfall of all smartphones and the fact that we can't go anywhere without lugging around battery chargers in order to keep are precious toys useable. :rolleyes:

Not so much to be honest, I tend to be able to get to the end of the day with at least 45% left and just charge every night (turning wifi / data off when not needed etc....) Must admit I don't have auto sync tunrned on 100% of the time though....

Upvote 0
Not so much to be honest, I tend to be able to get to the end of the day with at least 45% left and just charge every night (turning wifi / data off when not needed etc....) Must admit I don't have auto sync tunrned on 100% of the time though....

I end up with 40%+ everyday, with auto sync and medium+ usage pattern.
Disable wifi will not give you any extra % at the end of the day.
When I disable data (when I roam) I finish the day with 60%+.

I found out that when I'm in bad reception area the battery usage is very high, so if I have a 1 hour meeting in a bad reception office the battery can lose ~15%!!!

Upvote 0
I end up with 40%+ everyday, with auto sync and medium+ usage pattern.
Disable wifi will not give you any extra % at the end of the day.
When I disable data (when I roam) I finish the day with 60%+.

I found out that when I'm in bad reception area the battery usage is very high, so if I have a 1 hour meeting in a bad reception office the battery can lose ~15%!!!

Now here's a lessen then. Turn off the phone during your meeting unless it's very inconvenient! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones