• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help APP PERMISSION

Hello everyone,

Can some please help me understand/tell me why some of the apps that I have download require me to
ALLOW "SOME APPS" TO MAKE AND MANAGE PHONE CALLS

This requirement makes no sense to me and was hoping someone here can help me make sense of exactly why this is a requirement.

Also since I have downloaded some apps and click on the (allow tab) I get random calls from all around the United States. When I answer them it hangs up right away and sometimes it will ring like 3 times and hang up or when I answer it there is no one on the line and I then just hang up the phone. I have attached a picture/screen grab of the permission tab I am asking about.

Tim

Attachments

• 16809842_10212336788519084_777702590_n.png
    16809842_10212336788519084_777702590_n.png
    87.3 KB · Views: 285
What other apps have this?

I can't find any sign that OpenSignal should have this permission. And I installed it myself and scanned it and still didn't find that permission, unless your OS version calls it something different. But even then on my device it only seemed to have permissions to read logs. Don't want to jump to conclusions or encourage paranoid, as it may be an OS difference, but where did you install it from?

It's also possible that your junk calls are a coincidence, or because your number has leaked to spammers via some other route. But it's also possible that one of your apps has leaked your phone number, not necessarily one with this permission (the ability to read the phone number and internet permissions would suffice for that).

Upvote 0
OK, I think I've found the answer. You get that message if any "dangerous" permission in the "Phone" permissions group is requested. "Dangerous" includes CALL_PHONE or MANAGE_OUTGOING_CALLS, but also things like READ_PHONE_STATE (which many apps need so that they can stop when a call comes in).

The warning is phrased to cover the most significant permissions in this group. You can see the sense if you know that once you've granted one of these Phone permissions it won't ask you again if the app wants a second one, so it's warning you of the worst case in advance. What you might argue about is why it doesn't ask again if a different permission is asked for, or why it doesn't tell you which permission is actually being requested, but asking Google is pretty much a waste of time.

So I think that's the answer: the app does have some permissions in that group (e.g. READ_PHONE_STATE) but not the permissions to actually make or manage calls. So the message is misleading and a lot scarier than it needs to be - thanks Google!

Upvote 0
@Hadron as always, is on top of the issue. :thumbsupdroid:

If you go into settings>apps>permissions>show all you can see the specific things this app has permission to do.

opensignal1.png

And, if you read the little disclaimer at installation (Yeah, I know, who reads all that stuff? ;) ) You would see why it wants those permissions.

opensignal2.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones